Moment of inertia, conservation of angular momentum and energy

In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods of solving a problem involving the conservation of angular momentum and energy. The speaker was able to get the correct result using the conservation of angular momentum, but not using the conservation of energy. They also consider the type of collision that occurs when the ball is caught and the transfer of kinetic energy into other forms. Ultimately, they question the validity of their result and seek clarification.
volodymyr379
Homework Statement
Student A, of mass 100 kg, stands 2 meters from the center of a circular platform which is free to rotate on frictionless bearings. Student B, not standing on the platform, tosses student A a baseball of mass 0.09 kg, which reaches student A with a velocity of 20 m/s directed perpendicular to the line joining student A and the center of the platform. If the platform has a moment of inertia 200 kg·m^2, what is its approximate angular velocity after student A catches the baseball?
Relevant Equations
mb*vb*r= (Ip+Is)*ω , where mb - mass of the ball, vb - speed of the ball, Ip and Is - moments of inertia of the platform and the student respectively.
E_kin = E_rot
(mb*v^2) = ((Ip+Is)*ω^2)/2
When I solved the problem using the conservation of angular momentum, I have got the correct result (ω = 0.006 rad/s). However, when I tried to find the answer using the conservation of energy the result was incorrect and I do not understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi volodymyr379. Welcome to Physics forums.

Can you classify the type of collision that occurs when Student A catches the ball? What things are conserved in such a collision?

Hi gneill.
No, unfortunately, I can't. The type of collision was not specifically stated in the problem. However, even if the collision is inelastic, it is hard for me to imagine that most of the kinetic energy of the ball would be transferred into heat, sound, etc. Using the conservation of energy I get that ω = 0.24 rad/s (instead of 0.006).

The collision must be inelastic since student A catches and retains the ball. Despite what may seem incredible, the energy will be lost.

Likes PeroK
volodymyr379 said:
it is hard for me to imagine that most of the kinetic energy of the ball would be transferred into heat
Humans are far less sensitive to heat energy than to sound, light or KE. Try dropping a soft mass (so there's little sound) onto a hard surface repeatedly and notice how little it warms.

Likes FactChecker and gneill
As a sanity check of your result (##\omega## = 0.24 rad/s) using conservation of energy, notice that the platform would be rotating VERY FAST after the ball is caught.

1. What is moment of inertia and how is it related to rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The larger the moment of inertia, the harder it is to change the object's rotational velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a system?

Angular momentum, like linear momentum, is conserved in a closed system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even if individual objects within the system experience changes in their rotational motion. This is due to the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that angular momentum can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred between objects in a system.

3. Can an object's moment of inertia change?

Yes, an object's moment of inertia can change if either its mass or its distribution around the axis of rotation changes. For example, if a figure skater pulls their arms in while spinning, their moment of inertia decreases and their rotational velocity increases. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which requires the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity to remain constant.

4. How is conservation of energy related to rotational motion?

Just like linear motion, rotational motion also follows the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the total energy of a system remains constant, even if individual objects within the system experience energy transformations. For example, when a pendulum swings, it experiences a conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy and back again, but the total energy of the system remains the same.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia and conservation of angular momentum and energy?

Moment of inertia, conservation of angular momentum, and energy are important concepts in many fields of science and engineering. They are used in designing and analyzing various machines and structures such as cars, airplanes, and bridges. They also play a crucial role in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars. In addition, these concepts are essential in the development of technologies such as gyroscopes, which are used in navigation systems and stabilizing devices.