Moment of Inertia for a Thick Spherical Shell

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere with uniform density, with consideration for the outer and inner radii. The resulting equation is derived and then the limit is taken as the inner radius approaches the outer radius, using l'Hopital's rule. A mistake is made in the initial calculation, but is corrected using spherical coordinates to obtain the correct answer.
b100c

Homework Statement

A) [/B]Consider a hollow sphere of uniform density with an outer radius [itex]R[/itex] and inner radius [itex]\alpha R[/itex], where [itex]0\leq\alpha\leq1[/itex]. Calculate its moment of inertia.
B) Take the limit as [itex]\lim_{\alpha\to1}[/itex] to determine the moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell.

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia: [itex]I = \int r^2 dm[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] dm = \rho dV[/itex]. Where rho is density. The volume element for a sphere is [tex] dV=r^2sin\theta d\theta d\varphi dr[/tex]
So I think I would integrate over a sphere but instead from inner radius to the outer radius? [tex] I = \rho \int_{\alpha R}^{R} r^4 dr \int_{0}^{\pi} sin\theta d\theta \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\varphi [/tex]
Which yields [tex]\frac{4\pi}{5} \rho (R^5 - \alpha R^5) [/tex]
If [tex] \rho = \frac{m}{V} = \frac{m}{\frac{4\pi (R^3 - \alpha R^3)}{3}} [/tex]
Then the equation for moment of inertia becomes
[tex] I = \frac{3}{5}mR^2 \frac{1-\alpha^5}{1-\alpha^3} [/tex]

The problems is now when I take the limit as alpha approaches 1, and apply l'Hopital's rule, I get that moment of inertia is [itex] mR^2[/itex], when there should be a factor of [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your I calculation, the r in your relevant equation is not the distance from the origin, but the distance from the axis of rotation ...

Likes b100c
Thanks BvU, that was a stupid mistake on my part. I replaced r with rsin(theta) in spherical coordinates and I got the correct answer.

well done!

1. What is moment of inertia for a thick spherical shell?

The moment of inertia for a thick spherical shell is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia for a thick spherical shell calculated?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia for a thick spherical shell is I = 2/3 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the shell and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia for a thin and thick spherical shell?

The moment of inertia for a thin spherical shell is calculated using a different formula, I = 2/3 * m * r^2 + m * d^2, where d is the distance from the center of the shell to its surface. This accounts for the thickness of the shell and results in a larger moment of inertia compared to a thick shell of the same mass and radius.

4. How does the moment of inertia for a thick spherical shell affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia for a thick spherical shell determines how much torque is needed to cause a change in its rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means more torque is required to change the rotational speed, while a smaller moment of inertia requires less torque for the same change in speed.

5. Can the moment of inertia for a thick spherical shell be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia for a thick spherical shell can be changed by altering the mass distribution or the axis of rotation. For example, adding or removing mass from the shell or changing the shape of the shell can impact its moment of inertia.