Moment of inertia of a cone -- Why do we divide the equation dI = dm*r^2 by two?

In summary, when calculating the moment of inertia of a cone relative to its symmetry axis, we divide the equation dI = dm*r^2 by two. This is because we can divide the cone into disks and find the moment of inertia of each disk, which is half of its distance from the axis of rotation.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Moment of inertia of a cone
Relevant Equations
I = dmr2/2
Why we divide the equation dI = dm*r^2 by two when we calcule the moment of inertia of a cone relative to its symmetry axis?
1588364864154.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the moment of inertia of a disk?

Likes LCSphysicist and etotheipi
PeroK said:
What's the moment of inertia of a disk?
mr^2/2

but i tried a approach different, i will post:

1588365610114.png

I can't see where i am wrong :C

Attachments

• 1588365614112.png
    1588365614112.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 149
LCSphysicist said:
View attachment 261891
I can't see where i am wrong :C
You used mr2 instead of half that for the MoI of your disc element.

Likes LCSphysicist
The equation ##dI=r^2dm## is the general one, where ##r## represents the perpendicular distance of a point to the axis of rotation. In this exercise, however, we notice that we can divide our cone into disks, find the moment of inertia of each disk, and then sum all of them, hence for each disk of thickness ##dx\equiv\Delta x\to0##, its contribution to the total moment of inertia is ##dI=\frac12r^2(x)dm##, where ##r(x)## represents the radius of a given disk.

Likes LCSphysicist
I see, i tried to calc dividing the cone in disk, but i haven't see that i was summing the inertia moment of elemntary disks, i continued the sum like the disk were little points.

Likes archaic

1. What is the moment of inertia of a cone?

The moment of inertia of a cone is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the cone by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. Why is the equation for moment of inertia of a cone divided by two?

The equation for moment of inertia of a cone is divided by two because the cone's mass is not distributed evenly around the axis of rotation. This results in a lower moment of inertia compared to a solid cylinder with the same mass and radius.

3. How is the moment of inertia of a cone different from that of a cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a cone is smaller than that of a cylinder with the same mass and radius, due to the cone's mass being concentrated towards the base rather than being evenly distributed. This results in a lower resistance to changes in rotational motion.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a cone affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a cone affects its rotational motion by determining how much torque is required to rotate the cone. A higher moment of inertia means a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion, while a lower moment of inertia allows for easier rotation.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a cone be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a cone can be changed by altering its mass or its distance from the axis of rotation. For example, a cone with a larger or smaller base will have a different moment of inertia compared to a cone with a smaller or larger base, respectively.