Calculating the moment of inertia of Cone

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moment of inertia of a stack of donuts with varying mass and height. The initial approach used a density formula and integration, but there was concern about its correctness. The expert suggests using LaTeX for writing equations and suggests using a density formula and integrating at the end.
EEristavi
Homework Statement
Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone relative to its symmetry axis, if the
mass of the cone is equal to m and the radius of its base to R
Relevant Equations
I = m r^2
I'm Summing the Inertia of "donuts" with width dr and radius - r.
I'm also "flattering" the cone into 2D and considering that each donut has different mass - because of the different height - h

so:
dm = 3 m h / (pi R2 H) dr

I = ∫ dm r2 = 3 m h / (pi R2 H) r2 dr

from triangle similarities
H/R = h/(R-r) => h = H - H/R r

afterwards, I'm calculating integral. However, I'm getting wrong answer.

My question:
Is Integral I've written above correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show more of your work? Have you tried adding moments of inertia of stacked disks, the radius of which increases linearly with height?

Last edited:
Maybe This will help.
problem.jpg

It's very hard to type in here, sorry...

EEristavi said:
It's very hard to type in here, sorry...
You should try to learn how to use LaTeX for writing equations. Click on the link "LaTeX Guide" above the "Attach files" link.

Your ##dm## is incorrect because it has the wrong dimensions. It might be easier to set it up if you used a density ##\rho=\frac{3m}{\pi R^2 H}## and replace it at the very end after you integrate.

Likes EEristavi
found my error.
I was just worried that my idea of writing integral was incorrect.

Thank you also about LaTeX - It will help me a lot :)

Thanks

1. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a cone?

The moment of inertia of a cone can be calculated using the formula I = (3/10) * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the cone and r is the radius of the base.

2. What is the moment of inertia of a cone with a hollowed out center?

The moment of inertia of a cone with a hollowed out center can be calculated by subtracting the moment of inertia of the hollowed out portion from the moment of inertia of the full cone. This can be done by using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a body is equal to the moment of inertia of the body's center of mass plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a cone change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a cone can change if its mass or radius changes. This is because the formula for calculating moment of inertia includes both mass and radius.

4. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg·m^2).

5. How is the moment of inertia of a cone related to its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a cone is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means that it will require more torque to rotate the cone, while a smaller moment of inertia means that it will require less torque.