Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density

In summary, the moment of inertia of a cylinder with increasing linear density can be calculated using the equation I = α(Lr^2)/2 + α(r^3)/2 with bounds of R2 and R1, where α is a positive constant, L is the length of the cylinder, and R1 and R2 are the inner and outer radii, respectively. This can be derived by using the equation for volume, dV = L * 2∏r dr, and integrating over the radius of the cylinder. Additionally, the total mass of the cylinder can be found using the equation M = ∫dm, where dm = 2πr L ρ dr and ρ = αr.
PMRist
A cylinder with radius R and mass M has density that increases linearly with distance r from the cylinder axis, ρ = αr, where α is a positive constant.
Calculate the moment of inertia of the cylinder about a longitudinal axis through its center in terms of M and R.

I have I = ∫r^2dm
and ρ = αr = m/V, I solved for m and took the derivative to get dm = α(dV = dr).
Putting this into the Inertia equation, I get I = α∫r^2 (dV + dr). Using the equation for volume, i took the derivative and got dV = L * 2∏r dr. Plugging this into the original equation, and integrating, I get I = α(Lr^2)/2 + α(r^3)/2 with bounds of R2 and R1. Not sure where to go from here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dm=2πr L ρ dr - Because you can break the disk into thin rings distance r from center, each of which has volume 2πr L dr

M=∫dm

Try using these.

Related to Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density

What is the definition of "Moment of Inertia"?

The Moment of Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation. It is the sum of the products of the mass of each particle in the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density calculated?

The Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density is calculated by integrating the product of the density function and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation over the entire volume of the cylinder.

What factors affect the Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density?

The three main factors that affect the Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density are the mass distribution, the shape of the cylinder, and the axis of rotation. A cylinder with more mass concentrated towards the center will have a smaller Moment of Inertia compared to a cylinder with the same total mass but distributed evenly. Similarly, changing the shape of the cylinder or the axis of rotation will also affect the Moment of Inertia.

How does the Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density relate to its rotational motion?

The Moment of Inertia plays a crucial role in determining the rotational motion of a cylinder with varying density. A larger Moment of Inertia means that more torque is required to produce the same angular acceleration, resulting in a slower rotation. On the other hand, a smaller Moment of Inertia will allow for faster rotation with less torque.

Can the Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density be changed?

Yes, the Moment of Inertia of a cylinder with varying density can be changed by altering its mass distribution, shape, or axis of rotation. For example, a cylinder with a hollow center will have a larger Moment of Inertia compared to a solid cylinder with the same total mass.