Moment of inertia of a polygon

In summary, calculating the moment of inertia of a polygon can be done by using the equation 1/12 * sum { (y_{i+1} - y_{i} )(x_{i+1} + x_{i})(x_{i+1}^2 + x_{i}^2) - (x_{i+1} - x_{i} )(y_{i+1} + y_{i})(y_{i+1}^2 + y_{i}^2) based on the polygon's total area, centroid, and vertices. This method avoids the need for a difficult integral over the area/mass and can be used for arbitrarily shaped polygons. Further details and an example can be
cigarette
How can one calculate the moment of inertia of a polygon?
Assuming that one knows the polygon’s total area, centroid
and vertices, which are connected by straight lines in a 2D system.
Is it possible to avoid a difficult integral over the area/mass?

Any helpful information is highly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is it a regular polygon? You could break it into triangles each with a vertex at the center of the polygon and add up the moments of inertia appropriately.

Tide said:
Is it a regular polygon? You could break it into triangles each with a vertex at the center of the polygon and add up the moments of inertia appropriately.

hi tide, in response to ur question, it is an arbitrarily shaped polygon, which basically means any shape with any number of vertices..maybe can call it "n"-agon.

i get the triangular part, but just wondering whether there is any other mathematical methods.

regards

I have calculated the moment of inertia about the origin of a polygon based on its vertices.

The equation is

1/12 * sum { (y_{i+1} - y_{i} )(x_{i+1} + x_{i})(x_{i+1}^2 + x_{i}^2)
- (x_{i+1} - x_{i} )(y_{i+1} + y_{i})(y_{i+1}^2 + y_{i}^2)

I put the details of its derivation on my web page.

http://www.enel.ucalgary.ca/~shannon/v2/green/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Moment of inertia of a polygon

What is moment of inertia and why is it important?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is important because it helps us understand how different shapes and masses affect an object's ability to rotate.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a polygon?

The moment of inertia for a polygon can be calculated by adding the moments of inertia for each individual side of the polygon. The formula for moment of inertia is I = Σmr², where m is the mass of a small section of the polygon and r is the distance from that section to the axis of rotation.

How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia of a polygon?

The distribution of mass plays a significant role in the moment of inertia of a polygon. Objects with more mass concentrated towards the edges will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with evenly distributed mass.

How does the shape of a polygon affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a polygon has a direct impact on its moment of inertia. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be. This means that polygons with larger areas and longer sides tend to have higher moments of inertia.

What real-world applications rely on understanding the moment of inertia of polygons?

Understanding the moment of inertia of polygons is crucial in many fields, including engineering, physics, and robotics. It is used to design structures and machines that can withstand rotational forces, as well as to predict and analyze the motion of objects in various scenarios.