Moment of Inertia of a Regular Hexagon

In summary, the moment of inertia of a regular hexagon with sides equal to the sides of an equilateral triangular lamina is 30I, where I is the moment of inertia of the triangular lamina. This is found using the equations I' = I + Md^2, the cosine rule, basic trigonometry, and the fact that the radius of gyration is directly proportional to the length of the side of the triangle. The solution provided in the book involves taking the sides of the triangle as 2a instead of a, using the parallel axis theorem twice, and finding the distance from the cross in the drawing to the center dot.
Prannoy Mehta
A equilateral triangular lamina, has a moment of Inertia of I if the axis of rotation passes through the centroid of the triangle, perpendicular to it's plane. What is the moment of inertia of a regular hexagon(Again, through it's geometrical centre, perpendicular to the plane), provided that, the length of the side of the triangle is equal to the sides of the regular hexagon. (I have assumed the side of the eq. triangle to be a. And m to be the mass of the eq. triangle. M of the hexagon M=6m)

The equations, I have used to solve this,
i)I' = I + Md^2
ii)The cosine rule.
iii)Basic Trigonometry.
iv)The radius of gyration is directly proportional to the length of the side of the triangle.

I did not receive any answer which had only I in it.

The solution provided in the book, is something I did not understand. It's given that it could be taken as two sides of eq. triangle of sides 2a. Hence using the the fourth point. (Since the hexagon is like 6 eq. triangle) The gave the moment of inertia as 32 I. Then the subtracted 2I, as they remove the two extra triangle due to the us adding two extra triangles, while constructing. But is it not fundamentally flawed, doing such a thing. By the parallel axis theorem their moment of inertia should be 2(I + Md^2) where d = a + 3^0.5/2 a

The answer provided is 30I.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prannoy Mehta said:
A equilateral triangular lamina, has a moment of Inertia of I if the axis of rotation passes through the centroid of the triangle, perpendicular to it's plane. What is the moment of inertia of a regular hexagon(Again, through it's geometrical centre, perpendicular to the plane), provided that, the length of the side of the triangle is equal to the sides of the regular hexagon. (I have assumed the side of the eq. triangle to be a. And m to be the mass of the eq. triangle. M of the hexagon M=6m)

The equations, I have used to solve this,
i)I' = I + Md^2
ii)The cosine rule.
iii)Basic Trigonometry.
iv)The radius of gyration is directly proportional to the length of the side of the triangle.

I did not receive any answer which had only I in it.

The solution provided in the book, is something I did not understand. It's given that it could be taken as two sides of eq. triangle of sides 2a. Hence using the the fourth point. (Since the hexagon is like 6 eq. triangle) The gave the moment of inertia as 32 I. Then the subtracted 2I, as they remove the two extra triangle due to the us adding two extra triangles, while constructing. But is it not fundamentally flawed, doing such a thing. By the parallel axis theorem their moment of inertia should be 2(I + Md^2) where d = a + 3^0.5/2 a

The answer provided is 30I.

Thank you.
Why don't you show us your calculations, not just the results? The problem may be there.

This might help...

Attachments

• P3300001.JPG
    P3300001.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 1,155
Hello Prannoy,

Your observation is correct, except that the distance d of the centroids to the rotation axis is not what you mention.

If you make a drawing (I see andrev did that in the time I need to type this, I'm slow...) , you'll see that you need to use the parallel axis theorem twice: the triangles with sides 2a are not rotating around the axis through their centroids, so their combined moment of inertia is bigger than just 2 x 16 ##I##.

The 30 ##I## answer is correct. It's kind of nice to see the md2 terms cancel (coincidence ?) !

I have accounted for the distances. After cross checking my calculations, I found that I forgot to make take the sides as 2a instead of a while performing trignometric operations, with the triangle of 2a.
I tried attaching my calculations, but I could not upload it, for some unknown reason. If you still require it, I'll attach the solution I prepared.

It's not a matter of requiring and you don't have to attach any more pictures. I take it you checked and corrected your work the right way. What did you find for d ? And for the distance from the cross in andrev's drawing to the center dot ?

d = 2a/(3)^0.5 and the cross from the cross in Andrev's drawing to the center dot is 1/3^0.5.

Thanks a lot for all your help and support.

Excellent work. Very nice exercise: I'm still impressed that these md2 terms cancel so elegantly.

Related to Moment of Inertia of a Regular Hexagon

1. What is the moment of inertia of a regular hexagon?

The moment of inertia of a regular hexagon is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotation. It is calculated by summing the products of each point's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a regular hexagon?

The moment of inertia of a regular hexagon can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * a^2, where m is the mass of the hexagon and a is the length of one side.

3. What is the relationship between the moment of inertia and the shape of a regular hexagon?

The moment of inertia of a regular hexagon is directly proportional to the mass and the distance of the points from the axis of rotation. This means that the shape of the hexagon, specifically the distribution of its mass, plays a significant role in determining its moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a regular hexagon compare to other regular polygons?

The moment of inertia of a regular hexagon is generally greater than that of other regular polygons with the same mass and size. This is because the hexagon has more points and a more spread out distribution of mass, leading to a higher resistance to changes in rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the moment of inertia of a regular hexagon?

The moment of inertia of a regular hexagon is an important factor in designing structures and machines that need to rotate or maintain stability. It is also used in physics and engineering calculations, such as determining the angular acceleration of a rotating hexagon or the energy required to rotate it at a certain speed.