Quick question about moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the moment of inertia of a triangle when the axis is perpendicular to one of its vertices. The formula I=mr^2 is used, where r is the distance from the axis to the center of mass. The conversation also mentions using the parallel axis theorem and solving for d, the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation. After some calculations, the final formula for the moment of inertia is found to be Ip=2/3mb^2+md^2, with d=3/4b. However, there seems to be an error in the calculation and further attempts are made to find the correct values for d and Ip.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-7_15-54-12.png

Homework Equations

I = mr^2 (point mass)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure how to calculate the moment of inertia of this triangle if the axis is going through one vertice perpendicularly.
Do i calculate the inerta of 2 sides with Inertia of a rod and the 3 side as point mass?

Or find inertia based on where the center mass is?[/B]

Based on center mass, middle of triangle, the distance r is b/2. m is just m. So the formula is I = mr^2 = m(b/2)^2 =

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_15-54-12.png
    upload_2018-2-7_15-54-12.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 762
Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:
Do i calculate the inerta of 2 sides with Inertia of a rod and the 3 side as point mass?
All sides must be treated as rods. For the third one, use the parallel axis theorem.

Doc Al said:
All sides must be treated as rods. For the third one, use the parallel axis theorem.
how can i apply parallel axis theorem is the third side isn't parallel to the axis?

lc99 said:
how can i apply parallel axis theorem is the third side isn't parallel to the axis?
To use the parallel axis theorem, the axes must be parallel, not the rod itself. Consider an axis going through the center of that third side.

It is stated that axis is passing through one of it vertices. I think you are on good way. Try to make a sketch.

Doc Al said:
for the third rod, do i just use Ip = Icm + md^2 where Icm is the center of the third rod and i have to figure out what d is?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_16-23-24.png
    upload_2018-2-7_16-23-24.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 476
  • upload_2018-2-7_16-23-27.png
    upload_2018-2-7_16-23-27.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 494
lc99 said:
for the third rod, do i just use Ip = Icm + md^2 where Icm is the center of the third rod and i have to figure out what d is?
Exactly!

Doc Al said:
Exactly!
Thank you. Just for clarification, Icm would be the center mass from the center of the triangle right?

lc99 said:
Just for clarification, Icm would be the center mass from the center of the triangle right?
No. Icm is the moment of inertia of the third side about its center of mass. (d will be the distance from that side's center of mass to the axis of rotation.)

Likes lc99
Doc Al said:
No. Icm is the moment of inertia of the third side about its center of mass. (d will be the distance from that side's center of mass to the axis of rotation.)
Do you mean Icm is the inerta center of mass at axis of rotation? I'm not quite understand Icm in the equal Ip = Icm +md^2. I understand d is the distance between the do parallel axises

(the answer is .5mb^2 but I am not getting that :( )

maybe I am confused on how parallel axis theorem can be applied to FIND the inertia of the third rod so i can add it to the sum of the inertia of the 2 other rods. This is because i thought that PAT is used to find the inertia of something from a new axis if Icm is parallel to this new axis.

Last edited:
lc99 said:
maybe I am confused on how parallel axis theorem can be applied to FIND the inertia of the third rod so i can add it to the sum of the inertia of the 2 other rods. This is because i thought that PAT is used to find the inertia of something from a new axis if Icm is parallel to this new axis.
If you know the moment of inertia of some object about an axis through its center of mass (axis 1), then you can use the parallel axis theorem to calculate its moment of inertia about any other axis parallel to axis 1.

You know, I presume, the moment of inertia of the third side about its center. That's Icm. (Tell me what that is.) Then you can solve for d, using a bit of trig.

Doc Al said:
This might clarify things: Parallel Axis Theorem
So, for Ip, I am getting Ip = 2/3mb^2 +md^2

for d, i found d = 3/4b. But, when i plug those in, I am getting 59/48mb^2 instead of .5mb^2

lc99 said:
So, for Ip, I am getting Ip = 2/3mb^2 +md^2

for d, i found d = 3/4b. But, when i plug those in, I am getting 59/48mb^2 instead of .5mb^2
the formula for the rods I am using is 1/3ML^2

lc99 said:
2/3mb^2
Each rod only has a third of the total mass.
lc99 said:
I found d = 3/4b
I bet you did not. Try again.

haruspex said:
Each rod only has a third of the total mass.

I bet you did not. Try again.

I keep on getting that the distance between the axis of rotation (1) to the new axis rotation at the center of mass of the 3rd rod as 3/4b though! :(

upload_2018-2-7_22-45-39.png

Inertia at vertice = 1/3(1/3m)(b/2)^2 + Inertia at new axis?
Inertia at new axis = inertia at vertice + md^2
d = 3/4b

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_22-45-39.png
    upload_2018-2-7_22-45-39.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 733
lc99 said:
I keep on getting that the distance between the axis of rotation (1) to the new axis rotation at the center of mass of the 3rd rod as 3/4b though! :(

View attachment 219940

Inertia at vertice = 1/3(1/3m)(b/2)^2 + Inertia at new axis?
Inertia at new axis = inertia at vertice + md^2
d = 3/4b
I do not understand that horizontal green line.
The axes are perpendicular to the plane. Your diagram will be clearer if you just draw the plan view of the triangle and do not attempt perspective. Show the axes as mere points, understanding that they go into the page (or out of it).

upload_2018-2-7_23-25-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_23-25-17.png
    upload_2018-2-7_23-25-17.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 299
haruspex said:
I do not understand that horizontal green line.
The axes are perpendicular to the plane. Your diagram will be clearer if you just draw the plan view of the triangle and do not attempt perspective. Show the axes as mere points, understanding that they go into the page (or out of it).

I think I am getting close. I got mb^2

my equation for Inertia at the first axis is = 1/3(1/3m)b^2 + 1/3(1/3m)b^2 + 1/12(1/3m)b^2 + m(bsqrt(3)/2)^2 = mb^2

the answer says it's .5mb^2 though

lc99 said:
I think I am getting close. I got mb^2

my equation for Inertia at the first axis is = 1/3(1/3m)b^2 + 1/3(1/3m)b^2 + 1/12(1/3m)b^2 + m(bsqrt(3)/2)^2 = mb^2

the answer says it's .5mb^2 though
The third rod has mass m/3 for the purposes of the parallel axis theorem also.

Likes lc99
haruspex said:
The third rod has mass m/3 for the purposes of the parallel axis theorem also.
So the M in Ip = Icm + Md^2 always makes up the mass of the total mass around Ip? In this case, just rod 3? I was under the impression the M = the total mass of the whole thing which is just m.

Thanks by the way for your guidance. I reallly want to get this right~

lc99 said:
So the M in Ip = Icm + Md^2 always makes up the mass of the total mass around Ip? In this case, just rod 3? I was under the impression the M = the total mass of the whole thing which is just m.

Thanks by the way for your guidance. I reallly want to get this right~
Your approach was to deal with each rod separately. Each has mass m/3, and the parallel axis theorem must be applied separately to each.
For the two rods touching the axis, the moment about the centres is 1/12 m/3 b2. Applying the theorem adds 1/4 m/3b2 to each, giving 1/3 m/3 b2.
For the third rod, the mass is m/3 and the theorem gives b2(1/12+3/4)(m/3).

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is often described as the rotational equivalent of mass.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object depends on its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. It can be calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account these factors.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia plays a crucial role in understanding rotational motion, such as the behavior of spinning objects and the stability of rotating systems. It is also used in engineering applications, such as designing machines and structures that involve rotation.

4. How does moment of inertia differ from mass?

Moment of inertia measures an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass measures its resistance to linear motion. In other words, moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of an object's mass, whereas mass does not.

5. How can moment of inertia be changed?

Moment of inertia can be changed by altering an object's mass, shape, or distribution of mass. For example, holding a weight closer to the axis of rotation will decrease the moment of inertia, while holding it farther away will increase it.