Moment of inertia of a rod with balls attached

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of moment of inertia for a rod with attached point masses. The correct method is to use the Parallel Axis Theorem and apply it separately to the rod and point masses. The final answer is 12.62 kg*m^2.
AfronPie

Homework Statement

Attached.

Homework Equations

I=mr^2, I=(1/12)m*l^2 for a rod.

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A I got by doing I=(1/12)3.5*(2.6)^2+2*.7*1.3^2 (I added the moment of inertia of the rod and the balls). Part B since the axis is on one of the balls, I thought we don't include that ball in the calculations. So the rod stays, (1/12)m*l^2 and we add the other .7 kg ball which is 2.6m away. So I_total=(1/12)3.5*2.6^2+.7(2.6)^2=6.7 kg*m^2. However that isn't the right answer. Can someone please explain to me where I went wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Physics Q.png

Physics news on Phys.org
AfronPie said:
So the rod stays, (1/12)m*l^2
Think about that.

Likes AfronPie
TSny said:
Think about that.
Can you explain your hint. Why wouldn't you include the I of the rod?

You do need to include I for the rod. But when you move the axis of rotation to one end of the rod, does I for the rod remain the same?

Likes AfronPie
TSny said:
You do need to include I for the rod. But when you move the axis of rotation to one end of the rod, does I for the rod remain the same?
Im confused. The only reason why I knew I=1/12ml^2 is because I looked up moment of inertia for a rod. The mass is the same and the length of the rod is the same? Can you please explain what it would change to and why?

Moment of inertia depends on how the mass of the object is distributed around the axis of rotation. When you switch the axis, you change how the mass is distributed relative to the new axis. Consult PAT (Parallel Axis Theorem).

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/parax.html

Likes AfronPie
TSny said:
Moment of inertia depends on how the mass of the object is distributed around the axis of rotation. When you switch the axis, you change how the mass is distributed relative to the new axis. Consult PAT (Parallel Axis Theorem).

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/parax.html
Alright so I'm using the theorem. So I_total(rod)=I_cm+md^2=(1/12)3.5*2.6^2+4.9(1.3)^2=10.25
10.25+.7(2.6)^2=14.98 kg*m^2. Is this right?

AfronPie said:
Alright so I'm using the theorem. So I_total(rod)=I_cm+md^2=(1/12)3.5*2.6^2+4.9(1.3)^2=10.25
10.25+.7(2.6)^2=14.98 kg*m^2. Is this right?
It looks OK except for the factor of 4.9. How did you get that number?

Likes AfronPie
TSny said:
It looks OK except for the factor of 4.9. How did you get that number?
It's the M in the parallel axis equation which I thought meant the sum of all the masses.

You should apply the theorem to just the rod. You are taking care of the point masses separately.

Likes AfronPie
TSny said:
You should apply the theorem to just the rod. You are taking care of the point masses separately.
I_total(rod)=I_cm+md^2=(1/12)3.5*2.6^2+3.5(1.3)^2=7.89
7.89+.7(2.6)^2=12.62 kg*m^2. I just put it in and its right, thanks a lot for your help Tsny.

Great! Good work.

Related to Moment of inertia of a rod with balls attached

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measurement of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It is often denoted by the symbol "I".

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different properties of an object. Mass measures an object's resistance to linear motion, while moment of inertia measures its resistance to rotational motion. An object with a larger moment of inertia will require more force to rotate compared to an object with a smaller moment of inertia, even if they have the same mass.

3. How does adding balls to a rod affect its moment of inertia?

Adding balls to a rod increases its moment of inertia. This is because the balls add more mass to the rod, and the further away the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger the moment of inertia will be. The distribution of the mass also plays a role in determining the moment of inertia.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a rod with balls attached be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a rod with balls attached can be calculated using the formula I = MR², where M is the mass of the object and R is the distance from the axis of rotation. However, this formula only applies if all the mass is concentrated at the end of the rod. For more complex distributions of mass, the calculation can become more complicated.

5. Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating. It is necessary for calculating the angular momentum and angular acceleration of an object. It is also used in many practical applications, such as designing machines and vehicles that involve rotational motion.