Moment of Inertia of equilateral triangle about vertex

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a thin uniform wire bent into an equilateral triangle about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the triangle and passing through one of its vertices. Using the equations for slender rods and the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia for each side of the triangle is calculated and then added together to find the total moment of inertia. The final answer is found to be 1/2 of the mass of the wire multiplied by the length of one side squared.
oohaithere

Homework Statement

A piece of thin uniform wire of mass m and length 3b is bent into an equilateral triangle. Find the moment of inertia of the wire triangle about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the triangle and passing through one of its vertices.

Homework Equations

Slender rod, axis through one end: I=[itex] \frac 1 3[/itex]ML2
Parallel axis theorem: Ip=Icm+Md2
Slender rod, axis through center: I=[itex] \frac {1} {12}[/itex]ML2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew the figure as an equilateral triangle with the axis at the top point and set each side equal to B.[/B]

34qlqms.jpg

Then I considered the 2 sides to be slender rods with the axis through one end.
So, ΣI=[itex]\frac 1 3[/itex]Mb2+[itex]\frac 1 3[/itex]Mb2

The third side I figured would be a slender rod with the axis in the middle but moved up a distance d which would equal [itex] \sqrt{ b^2- {\frac 1 4} b^2 } [/itex].

Ip=[itex] \frac {1} {12} [/itex]Mb2+M[itex] \sqrt{ b^2- {\frac 1 4} b^2 } [/itex]2

Then I added them all up to get the moment of inertia for the whole triangle.

ΣI=[itex]\frac 1 3[/itex]Mb2+[itex]\frac 1 3[/itex]Mb2+[itex] \frac {1} {12} [/itex]Mb2+Mb2-[itex]\frac 1 4[/itex]Mb2

But I get [itex] \frac 3 2 [/itex]Mb2 when the answer is supposed to be [itex] \frac 1 2 [/itex]Mb2.

Am I maybe missing a negative or calculating one of the moments wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there, haithere, :welcome:
Is M the mass of one side, or of the whole thing ?

Likes oohaithere
BvU said:
Hello there, haithere, :welcome:
Is M the mass of one side, or of the whole thing ?
M is the mass of the whole wire so should I be using M/3 for the value of M in each moment I'm adding?
edit: I tried it and it works thanks for pointing that out

can you show how you found the distance d?
'

Hello Muz, :welcome:

Thing to do in PF is start your own thread instead of continuing someone else's solved thread.

Never mind: if you cut an equilateral triangle (sides length b) in half you can use Pythagoras to find ##d^2 = b^2 - ({1\over 2}b)^2 \ \ ##

1. What is the moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex?

The moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is defined as the sum of the products of the mass of each point in the triangle and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation passing through the vertex.

2. How is the moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex calculated?

The moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex can be calculated using the formula I = (1/6) * m * a^2, where m is the mass of the triangle and a is the length of its side.

3. What is the significance of the moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex?

The moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex is important in understanding the rotational motion of the triangle. It helps in predicting its behavior when subjected to external torques and in designing structures that can withstand rotational forces.

4. How does the moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex compare to that of other shapes?

The moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex is smaller than that of a square or a circle with the same mass and dimensions. This is because the triangle has less mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle about its vertex can be changed by altering its mass or its dimensions. For example, increasing the side length or the mass of the triangle will result in a larger moment of inertia, making it more resistant to rotational motion.