Moment of Inertia of pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a rotating rod with two point masses attached to it. The equations for sum of force and torque are set up to solve for the unknown variables of angular acceleration and moment of inertia. Increasing the mass on the mass holder does not affect either of these quantities. Wrapping the string around a larger radius wheel will result in a decrease in angular acceleration, but the moment of inertia remains unchanged. Moving the two masses attached to the rod away from the center of mass does not affect the results of the system. Additional equations and details are provided for further understanding.
Daisy Muller
upload_2016-4-28_15-59-54.png

1. Homework Statement

In each question: you place mass m on the mass holder, and released the system from rest. The system includes the long rod with two point masses on it (see the picture next to the list of equipment).

Since this is a rotational and translational motion, I set up two equations: sum of the force and torque

unknown will be angular acceleration and moment of inertia.

Homework Equations

upload_2016-4-28_15-30-53.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry. I guess I put my solution in the above.
a)
if you increase m, the mass on the mass holder, what happens to the following quantities:
- α, the angular acceleration of the pulley.
- I, the moment of inertia of the pulleys-plus-rod system.

The change of mass in the holder won't affect either of them. Therefore, they remain unchanged. Although I tempt to follow other opinions on web, adding extra weight will increase the velocity. But somehow Galileo keeps popping up in my head.

b)
you wrap the string around the smallest radius wheel in the "3-step pulley" (see diagram). If you wrap the string around a greater radius wheel, using the same mass on the mass holder, what will happen to the following quantitiesA:
upload_2016-4-28_15-38-43.png

Increase the radius will make angular acceleration smaller; therefore, angular acceleration will be decreased. Here is something I don't understand. I don't see the I= moment of inertia in the final equation and I tempted to go back to rotational motion and use it to interpret it. But I know something's wrong. Because it doesn't include in the final solution. Sorry. If I keep repeating myself, hopefully it'll not confuse you.

Therefore, I propose the moment of inertia remains unchanged even the radius is increased.

c)
if you move the two masses attached to the rotating rod away from the center of mass of the rod, what happens to the following quantities:

I don't know what I think of the last part. There is another system on top of the disk. It means another radius and new mass introduce into the system. I did this lab already. I remember it didn't affect the result. But I don't want to rely on memory. Can you shed some light on it? Daisy

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-28_15-4-52.png
    upload_2016-4-28_15-4-52.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 848
  • upload_2016-4-28_15-26-47.png
    upload_2016-4-28_15-26-47.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 762
Physics news on Phys.org
... don't just guess: explain your reasoning.
One way to check is to relate the question to similar systems you are already familiar with ... ie. if the hanging mass were just dragging a block across the table instead of turning something, would adding more mass affect the acceleration of the hanging mass?

Have you looked at a simple version - say, one that uses massless pulleys?

I think doing the math for the simpler system will help you understand how to answer the questions better.

Daisy Muller said:
View attachment 99918

1. Homework Statement

In each question: you place mass m on the mass holder, and released the system from rest. The system includes the long rod with two point masses on it (see the picture next to the list of equipment).

Since this is a rotational and translational motion, I set up two equations: sum of the force and torque

unknown will be angular acceleration and moment of inertia.

Homework Equations

View attachment 99914

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry. I guess I put my solution in the above.
a)
if you increase m, the mass on the mass holder, what happens to the following quantities:

The change of mass in the holder won't affect either of them. Therefore, they remain unchanged. Although I tempt to follow other opinions on web, adding extra weight will increase the velocity. But somehow Galileo keeps popping up in my head.

b)
you wrap the string around the smallest radius wheel in the "3-step pulley" (see diagram). If you wrap the string around a greater radius wheel, using the same mass on the mass holder, what will happen to the following quantitiesA:
View attachment 99915
Increase the radius will make angular acceleration smaller; therefore, angular acceleration will be decreased. Here is something I don't understand. I don't see the I= moment of inertia in the final equation and I tempted to go back to rotational motion and use it to interpret it. But I know something's wrong. Because it doesn't include in the final solution. Sorry. If I keep repeating myself, hopefully it'll not confuse you.

Therefore, I propose the moment of inertia remains unchanged even the radius is increased.

c)
if you move the two masses attached to the rotating rod away from the center of mass of the rod, what happens to the following quantities:

I don't know what I think of the last part. There is another system on top of the disk. It means another radius and new mass introduce into the system. I did this lab already. I remember it didn't affect the result. But I don't want to rely on memory. Can you shed some light on it?Daisy
Hello Daisy Muller. Welcome to PF !

A general comment. You included many equations, which is fine, but you tended to ignore them.

For (a):
Galileo feels as though he has been misquoted.

Look at your 1st equation. It's true that if the tension in the string (Is that T?) is zero, then doubling the mass will have no effect. You can give Galileo credit there. But T is not zero.

I have a question concerning your 2nd equation. The (½)MR2 is the moment of inertia for a uniform disk. That does not seem correct here. In fact, if the mass of the two rotating masses is much greater the the rotating rod, then the moment of inertia of the rotating system is more nearly MR2 .

1. What is moment of inertia of a pulley?

Moment of inertia of a pulley is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a property that describes how the mass of the pulley is distributed around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia of a pulley calculated?

Moment of inertia of a pulley can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the pulley, and r is the radius of the pulley.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a pulley?

The moment of inertia of a pulley is affected by the mass and distribution of the pulley's mass, as well as the shape and size of the pulley.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a pulley affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a pulley determines how much torque is required to accelerate or decelerate its rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means more torque is needed to change the pulley's rotational speed.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a pulley be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a pulley can be changed by altering its mass, shape, or size. It can also be affected by changing the distribution of the pulley's mass around its axis of rotation.