Moment of inertia tensor of three spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia tensor for a graphic containing multiple spheres. The parallel axis theorem is mentioned as a relevant equation. The individual moments of inertia for the spheres are given, but the poster is having trouble understanding the meaning of Ixy, Ixz, Iyz, etc. and how to calculate them. They have found some results for Ixx and Izz, but are unsure if they are correct. They are seeking help in determining the remaining components of the tensor.
Silken
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I want to find out the moment of intertia tensor of the graphic below.

Homework Equations

parallel axis theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

We know the moment of inertia for one sphere, that's given, so I don't have to calculate it explicit.Now I have trouble understanding the moment of inertia tensor. It looks like the following:

[tex]I=\begin{pmatrix} I_{xx} & I_{xy} & I_{xz} \\ I_{yx} & I_{yy} & I_{yz} \\ I_{zx} & I_{zy} & I_{zz} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

I understand that Ixx, Iyy and Izz are the moments of inertia regarding to x y and z but I don't understand what Ixy Ixz Iyz etc. 'means'. I just can't picture it. Furthermore I tried to find the xx yy and zz, I found out :

[tex] I_{xx}=I_{yy}=\frac {54} {5} MR^{2}+9r^{2}m[/tex]

and

[tex]I_{zz}=\frac 4 5 MR^{2}+(R+r)^{2}M[/tex]

But how do I find the xy xz etc. I know I just have to calculate thre more, because the tensor is symmetrical. But I don't know how do to it. Is my solution right thus far?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• mois.JPG
    mois.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Silken said:
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I want to find out the moment of in[STRIKE]t[/STRIKE]ertia tensor of the graphic below.

Homework Equations

parallel axis theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

We know the moment of inertia for one sphere, that's given, so I don't have to calculate it explicitly. Now I have trouble understanding the moment of inertia tensor. It looks like the following:

[tex]I=\begin{pmatrix} I_{xx} & I_{xy} & I_{xz} \\ I_{yx} & I_{yy} & I_{yz} \\ I_{zx} & I_{zy} & I_{zz} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

I understand that Ixx, Iyy, and Izz are the moments of inertia regarding to x, y, and z, but I don't understand what Ixy, Ixz, Iyz, etc. [STRIKE]'[/STRIKE]mean[STRIKE]s'[/STRIKE]. I just can't picture it. Furthermore I tried to find the xx, yy, and zz, and I found out :

[tex] I_{xx}=I_{yy}=\frac {54} {5} MR^{2}+9r^{2}m[/tex]
I take it M is the mass of the large spheres and m is the mass of the small sphere. How did you get 9mr2? Surely, the contribution of the small sphere must also depend on R. Also, you shouldn't have Ixx=Iyy as far as I can see.
and

[tex]I_{zz}=\frac 4 5 MR^{2}+(R+r)^{2}M[/tex]
What happened to the small sphere? There's no m in your result.
But how do I find the xy, xz, etc. I know I just have to calculate three more, because the tensor is symmetrical. But I don't know how do to it. Is my solution right thus far?

Thanks for your help
Crank out the integrals like
[tex]I_{xy} = \int xy\,dm[/tex]

Related to Moment of inertia tensor of three spheres

1. What is the moment of inertia tensor of three spheres?

The moment of inertia tensor of three spheres is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass and shape of three spheres in space. It is a 3x3 matrix that describes how the spheres will resist rotational motion around different axes.

2. How is the moment of inertia tensor of three spheres calculated?

The moment of inertia tensor can be calculated by summing up the individual moments of inertia of each sphere, taking into account their mass and distance from the axis of rotation. This can be done using mathematical equations or through computer simulations.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia tensor of three spheres?

The moment of inertia tensor is affected by the mass, shape, and orientation of the spheres. The distance between the spheres and the axis of rotation also plays a significant role in determining the moment of inertia tensor.

4. How is the moment of inertia tensor of three spheres used in physics?

The moment of inertia tensor is an important concept in rotational dynamics and is used to calculate the angular momentum and rotational kinetic energy of a system. It is also used in engineering applications, such as designing rotating machinery and analyzing the stability of structures.

5. Can the moment of inertia tensor of three spheres be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia tensor can be changed by altering the mass, shape, or orientation of the spheres. For example, if the spheres are moved closer to the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia tensor will decrease, making the system easier to rotate. Similarly, changing the mass distribution of the spheres can also affect the moment of inertia tensor.