Moment of intertia of a cuboid

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moment of inertia in relation to a cuboid shape. The total moment of inertia is calculated by adding the moment of inertia of each component, which is determined by the mass and distance from the axis of rotation. The conversation also mentions how the shape of the cuboid affects its moment of inertia and provides a formula for calculating it.
Stickybees
Simple question but I've never been through the proofs to know what I'm plugging into.
Are these components of the cuboid and can they just be added together for the total moment of inertia?
697f71993a53e52705d538d750276d06.png

3caec6a10252dea4cf7f31a060e9a065.png

81f6d018fceaad3d5a0de6939a9c1f0a.png

Moment_of_inertia_solid_rectangular_prism.png

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very important that you check every step that I take, try to understand what I do.

Think of a cuboid like this one:

Image33.gif

The shape with sides A and B is a quarter of the whole shape with sides C and D. The column with sides a and b is very narrow, where a and b tend to go to zero.

The total moment of intertia is given by: [itex]I = \sum\limits_{i=1}^n m_ir_i^2[/itex]

Calculating the mass of the narrow column: [itex]m=ρabh[/itex]
(assuming the mass-desnsity is homogenous, we call it ρ)

The distance from the axis of rotation:
[itex]r=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex]

So

[itex]I=ρh\int_a^A\int_b^B(a^2+b^2)da db
=hρ\int_a^A\frac{1}{3}B^3+Ba^2da
=hρ[\frac{1}{3}B^3A+\frac{1}{3}BA^3]
=\frac{1}{3}hρBA(B^2+A^2)
[/itex]But we do not have one of those blocks, but four of them, so multiply by four gives:

[itex]I=\frac{4}{3}hρBA(B^2+A^2)[/itex]

From the image on the beginning, we can conclude that A=C/2, and that B=D/2,
putting this into the last equation gives:

[itex]I=\frac{1}{12}hρCD(C^2+D^2)[/itex]

The mass of such a cuboid is given by

[itex]m=ρABh[/itex]

so

[itex]I=\frac{1}{12}m(C^2+D^2)[/itex]

If you were to replace the C and D with w, d or h, you will get your answer.

Last edited:
It's not clear what the OP is talking about when he mentions the 'total moment of inertia' of the cuboid.

The moment of inertia of anybody depends on the axis of rotation. For example, the MOI of a long, slender rod is a minimum when the rod is rotated about an axis which runs along the length of the rod and through the center of the cross section. If the rod is rotated about an axis which is perpendicular to the rod, then the MOI can be greater.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a cuboid?

The moment of inertia of a cuboid is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution and shape of the cuboid.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a cuboid?

The moment of inertia of a cuboid can be calculated by using the formula I = 1/12 * m * (a^2 + b^2), where m is the mass of the cuboid and a and b are the lengths of the sides.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a cuboid?

The moment of inertia of a cuboid is affected by two main factors: the mass distribution and the shape of the cuboid. The further the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger the moment of inertia will be. Additionally, a cuboid with a larger mass and/or longer sides will have a larger moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a cuboid differ from other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a cuboid is unique to its shape and mass distribution. Other shapes, such as cylinders and spheres, have different formulas for calculating their moment of inertia due to their different mass distributions.

5. Why is the moment of inertia of a cuboid important?

The moment of inertia of a cuboid is an important concept in physics and engineering. It is used in calculations for rotational motion, such as the torque needed to rotate a cuboid, and in understanding the stability and strength of structures.