Moment of Intertia, proving Parralel axis theorum. Help please.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia for a rotating equilateral triangle in the xy plane with one vertex at the origin. The depth of the triangle, d, is constant and the triangle is rotated about the z axis. The individual moments of inertia, I, are calculated using a piecewise function for B_r, where B(r)=0 for r<d and B(r)=B_r=\frac{r-d}{h}B for r>d. The parallel axis theorem is then used to find the new moment of inertia, I_2, by adding a distance, x, to the original moment of inertia, I_1. However, the method used may not be applicable to all shapes and the definition of moment of
Starwatcher16
Imagine we have a Equilateral triangle in the xy plane with one vertex at the origin. The triangle will be rotated about the z axis. The depth of the triangle, d, will be constant.[tex]B_r=B(r)[/tex]

From the picture I see that [tex] B_r=\frac{r}{h}B , V=\frac{B_rhd}{2}=\frac{Bdr}{2}[/tex]

First, I need to find I.

[tex]
I=\sum M_i*r_i^2=\int r^2 dm. p=M/V, so, dp=p dv[/tex]

[tex]
I=p\int r^2 dv[/tex] Substituting using[tex] dp=p dv and dv=\frac{Bd}{2}dr[/tex], we get:

[tex]
I=\frac{pBd}{2}*\int r^2 dr=\frac{pBd}{2}*\frac{r^3}{3}.[/tex] Using p=M/V:
[tex]
I=\frac{Mr^3}{3h}=\frac{Mr^2}{3}.[/tex] R_total/h=1.

Now, let's say I want to find I for the same shape, but now there is a distance d from the vertex to the z axis.

Everything is the same as the above, except, [tex]B_r[/tex] is now a piecewise function, where B(r)=0 for r<d and B(r)=[tex] B_r=\frac{r-d}{h}B for r>d. [/tex]

Reworking it with the new B_r, I can get the new I. After that I just solve for x in [tex] I_2=I_1+x[/tex] to get the parallel axis theorem.

The thing is, I don't know how to generalize this one example to work for all shapes. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets pretend that whoever answers my question get free cookies.

Also, now that I think about it, I am not sure this method is valid.

Yes picking a shape will not help you prove the theorem. What is the definition of the moment of inertia? Note that it is a vector quantity. Now displace the axis a distance d away from the original axis, note that d is a vector too.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia takes into account not only the mass of an object, but also the object's distribution of mass and how it is rotating. Mass only measures the amount of matter in an object.

3. What is the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of a rigid body about any axis is equal to the moment of inertia of the body about a parallel axis through the center of mass, plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

4. How is the parallel axis theorem used to prove the moment of inertia of an object?

The parallel axis theorem is used to simplify the calculation of moment of inertia by allowing us to shift the axis of rotation to a point that is easier to calculate. This is particularly useful for objects with irregular shapes or multiple axes of rotation.

5. Can the parallel axis theorem be used for all types of objects?

Yes, the parallel axis theorem can be applied to any rigid body, regardless of its shape or size. However, it is only applicable for objects that rotate around a fixed axis, and not for objects that undergo translation or non-uniform rotation.