Moment of thin Rod at pivot when acted upon by a Force

In summary, a thin rod with a non-uniform width is pivoted freely at one end and struck with a horizontal force, delivering an impulse at a distance below the pivot. The goal is to find the impulse delivered to the pivot. Using the equations for angular momentum and linear momentum, the angular velocity and linear momentum can be calculated. However, there is a disagreement about whether the total impulse delivered to the pivot should include both the impulse and momentum. In order to determine this, the relationship between net external impulse and final linear momentum must be considered, and the net external impulse can be written in terms of the impulses ξ and η.
Narwhalest
This is of my own interest/ practice.

Homework Statement

A thin rod (of width zero, but not uniform) is pivoted freely at one end about the horizontal z axis , being free to swing in the xy plane (x horizontal, y vertically down). Its mass is m and its CM is a distance a from the pivot.
The rod is struck with a horizontal force F which delivers an impulse F Δt = ξ a distance b below the pivot.
Find the impulse η delivered to the pivot.

2. Homework Equations

F Δt = ξ @b
L = T × Δt = r⋅J
p = mvCM
T = r × F
v = ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I found the angular momentum in terms of impulse. L = Iω = b ξ (j×i = -k).
Using the relation, I solve for angular velocity: ω = bξ/I and find the linear momentum.

Now here's my trouble, my friend is telling me I should add impulse and momentum for the total impulse delivered to the pivot. But I don't understand why that would be true.

Physics news on Phys.org
Narwhalest said:
Now here's my trouble, my friend is telling me I should add impulse and momentum for the total impulse delivered to the pivot. But I don't understand why that would be true.
I don't think that's quite right.

Consider any system and suppose it has zero total linear momentum intitially. Then suppose a net external impulse Jnet acts on the system. Let Pf be the final linear momentum of the system just after the impulse acts. What is the relation between Jnet and Pf?

For your problem, how would you write Jnet in terms of the impulses ξ and η? Remember, η is the impulse delivered to the pivot.

1. What is the moment of a thin rod at pivot?

The moment of a thin rod at pivot is the measure of the rotational force acting on the rod when a force is applied at a certain distance from the pivot point.

2. How is the moment of a thin rod at pivot calculated?

The moment of a thin rod at pivot is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the applied force by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, also known as the lever arm.

3. What is the relationship between the moment of a thin rod at pivot and the applied force?

The moment of a thin rod at pivot is directly proportional to the applied force. This means that as the force increases, the moment also increases.

4. How does the distance from the pivot point affect the moment of a thin rod?

The distance from the pivot point, also known as the lever arm, has a significant impact on the moment of a thin rod. The longer the lever arm, the greater the moment will be, even with the same amount of applied force.

5. What is the significance of understanding the moment of a thin rod at pivot?

Understanding the moment of a thin rod at pivot is crucial in designing and analyzing structures and machines that involve rotational motion. It helps determine the stability and strength of the structure and allows for accurate calculations of forces and torques involved.