Moments question help requested, unsure where I went wrong

TheePhysicsStudent
Homework Statement
Hello! I was doing this question from a textbook and I am Unsure why my answer is slightly different to that of the textbook
Relevant Equations
M = Fd
SF1 + SF2 =SFT
1706720889229.png
The Question
1706720910104.png
What I did
1706720956273.png
The Answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the data is given to only 2 significant figures. So, the answers might be rounded to 2 significant figures.

Also, the support forces at each end might be considered as acting in the middle of the 1-meter width rather than at the edge (dashed):

1706724571612.png

TSny said:
Also, the support forces at each end might be considered as acting in the middle of the 1-meter width rather than at the edge (dashed):
The problem states explicitly that the forces are assumed to act where the bridge meets the supports. I’d go with the rounding option.

Likes TSny
Ah, thank you yep, I believe it is an SF error, Thanks again for the help everyone!

Likes TSny
Orodruin said:
The problem states explicitly that the forces are assumed to act where the bridge meets the supports. I’d go with the rounding option.
Yes, I overlooked the comment about the location of the forces. Thanks.

1. What is a moments question?

A moments question typically involves finding the sum of moments or torques acting on a system. It is a common type of problem in physics and engineering that requires understanding of rotational motion.

2. How do I approach solving a moments question?

When solving a moments question, you should first identify all the forces acting on the system and their respective distances from a reference point. Then, calculate the torque produced by each force and sum them up to find the total moment.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in moments questions?

Common mistakes in moments questions include forgetting to account for all the forces acting on the system, using incorrect distances, and not considering the direction of the torque. It is important to be careful with your calculations and double-check your work.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving moments questions?

To improve your skills in solving moments questions, practice solving a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with different scenarios. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts of moments and torques in order to approach problems more effectively.

5. Where can I find additional help with moments questions?

If you are unsure where you went wrong in solving a moments question, you can seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources such as textbooks, tutorials, and forums. Working through problems collaboratively can also be beneficial in gaining a better understanding of moments.