Momentum and Energy Conservation in Collision Problems

In summary, the conversation involved solving two problems related to momentum and energy. The first problem dealt with a sledder going down a hill and colliding with a rock, while the second problem involved a hockey puck hitting a wall and rebounding with the same speed. The solution for the first problem required using the equation for kinetic energy and potential energy, while the solution for the second problem required using conservation of momentum and energy. The answers for the first problem were 19.8 m/s for the sledder's velocity at the bottom of the hill and 11 m/s for the rock's velocity after the collision. The correct answer for the second problem was 5 for the overall change in momentum.
AverteProxy

Homework Statement

Had a test today and had to do these problems. I just want confirmation on whether or not I did it correctly.

(One) A sledder is at the top of a (frictionless) hill. He has an initial velocity of 5m/s, and his weight with the sled is 30 Kg.

B) What his his velocity at the bottom of the hill?
c) At the bottom of the hill, the sledder collides in an elastic collision with a 90kg rock. What is the velocity of the rock after the collision?

(Two) A hockey puck hits a wall perpendicularly with a momentum of 2.5 Kg-m/s and rebounds with the exactly same speed. What is the overall change of momentum?

Homework Equations

P = mv
(1/2)Kv^2
PE = MGH

The Attempt at a Solution

On the first part, I set KE = to PE and did this to find the final velocity:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv^2 = mgh

Masses cancel out and I'm left with [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]v^2 = gh

After working it out, I end up getting 19.8 m/s. Problem is, I don't know whether or not I would add the initial velocity to this answer.

After, I set KE of the sledder equal to the KE of the rock (elastic collision) and solved for the final velocity of the rock, and somehow get 11 m/s. Would this be correct?

For the second problem, It was multiple choice, and I chose 5. Because it's going 2.5 one direction, and then rebounds to go -2.5 in the opposite direction with equal magnitude. Would 5 be correct? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just add the 5 m/s onto the answer. Rather, include the KE of the 5 m/s in the original calc:
energy at top = energy at bottom
mgh + ½m⋅v² = ½m⋅V²

The method for (b) is flawed, too. An elastic collision does not necessarily transfer all of the energy from one object to the other. Elastic just means no kinetic energy is lost. So you should use conservation of momentum AND conservation of energy to figure out the velocities of the masses after the collision. You need TWO equations to find TWO unknowns.

You got the second question right!

1. What is a momentum test problem?

A momentum test problem is a scientific experiment or calculation that involves measuring the momentum of an object or system. Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity.

2. Why is a momentum test problem important?

Momentum is an important concept in physics and is used to describe the behavior of objects in motion. Studying momentum through test problems can help scientists understand and predict the movement of objects in various situations, such as collisions or explosions.

3. How is a momentum test problem conducted?

A momentum test problem can be conducted in a variety of ways depending on the specific experiment or calculation being performed. Generally, it involves measuring the mass and velocity of an object or system and using these values to calculate the momentum. This may involve using instruments such as scales, rulers, and timers.

4. What are some real-world applications of momentum test problems?

Momentum test problems have many real-world applications, including in engineering, sports, and transportation. Engineers use momentum calculations to design vehicles and structures that can withstand collisions. Athletes also use an understanding of momentum to improve their performance in sports like running, jumping, and throwing.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about momentum test problems?

One common misconception about momentum test problems is that momentum is the same thing as force. While both are related to an object's motion, momentum is a property of an object, while force is an external influence acting on an object. Another misconception is that momentum is always conserved, when in fact it is only conserved in a closed system with no external forces acting on it.