How Does Impulse Affect the Horizontal Speed of a Softball?

In summary, a .24kg softball receives an impulse of 2.7 N*s and with that impulse, the ball moves away from the bat at a horizontal speed of -11.25m/s.
*intheclouds*

Homework Statement

When tossed upward and hit horizontally by a batter, a .24kg softball receives an impulse of 2.7 N*s. With what horizontal speed does the ball move away from the bat?

Homework Equations

Here are all the equations that were in our notes for this section.
p (momentum) There was triangle P and triange t in my notes, so I wrote "change in"

p=mv
f=ma
f*"change in"t="change in"p
f*"change in"t=mvf-mvi
"change in" P=mvf-mvi

The Attempt at a Solution

I really was not sure what equation I should use because I didnt really know what the impulse was. I chose f*"change in"t=mvf-mvi.
2.7 N*s= (.24kg)(0m/s)-(.24kg)(v)
I got v=-11.25m/s. I know this was wrong, but I am not sure which equation I was supposed to use or if I entered the information correctly into the equation. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
*intheclouds* said:

Homework Statement

When tossed upward and hit horizontally by a batter, a .24kg softball receives an impulse of 2.7 N*s. With what horizontal speed does the ball move away from the bat?

Homework Equations

Here are all the equations that were in our notes for this section.
p (momentum) There was triangle P and triange t in my notes, so I wrote "change in"

p=mv
f=ma
f*"change in"t="change in"p
f*"change in"t=mvf-mvi
"change in" P=mvf-mvi

The Attempt at a Solution

I really was not sure what equation I should use because I didnt really know what the impulse was. I chose f*"change in"t=mvf-mvi.
2.7 N*s= (.24kg)(0m/s)-(.24kg)(v)
I got v=-11.25m/s. I know this was wrong, but I am not sure which equation I was supposed to use or if I entered the information correctly into the equation. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

You can treat this as a collision.

A collision? What type of equation is that?

*intheclouds* said:
A collision? What type of equation is that?

[tex]m_1\texbf{v}_{i,1}+m_2\textbf{v}_{i,2}=m_1\textbf{v}_{f,2}+m_2\textbf{v}_{f,2}[/tex]

So, what would the 2.7 N*s be considered?

*intheclouds* said:
So, what would the 2.7 N*s be considered?

What are the units of Ns?

Im not really sure. I think it is Neutons*second. I am pretty sure it is the impulse.

*intheclouds* said:
Im not really sure. I think it is Neutons*second. I am pretty sure it is the impulse.

1 N = 1 kg*m/s/s.

So, 2.7 N*s = 2.7 kg*m/s.

So, the impulse has a "mass" and a "velocity."

The ball isn't moving in the x-direction so its initial velocity is 0. Solve, the impulse goes away.

ok so in that equation you gave me:

(.24kg)(0m/s)+(.24kg)(0m/s)=(.24kg)(v)+.24(v)??

Its all going to work out to be 0? I am really confused. I know you are trying so hard to help me, but I am lost... =]

*intheclouds* said:
ok so in that equation you gave me:

(.24kg)(0m/s)+(.24kg)(0m/s)=(.24kg)(v)+.24(v)??

Its all going to work out to be 0? I am really confused. I know you are trying so hard to help me, but I am lost... =]

0.24kg ( 0 m/s ) + Impulse = 0.24kg ( V m/s ).

Oh wow so I was really close with my first answer...It was just negative and I needed it to be positive! Thank you. =]

*intheclouds* said:
Oh wow so I was really close with my first answer...It was just negative and I needed it to be positive! Thank you. =]

You're welcome.

Related to How Does Impulse Affect the Horizontal Speed of a Softball?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a property of a moving object that is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity. It is a measure of how difficult it is to change the object's motion.

2. How is momentum related to horizontal speed?

Momentum and horizontal speed are directly proportional. This means that as an object's horizontal speed increases, its momentum also increases.

3. Can an object have momentum without horizontal speed?

Yes, an object can have momentum without horizontal speed. For example, a stationary object on a slope still has momentum due to its mass and the force of gravity acting on it.

4. How does friction affect momentum and horizontal speed?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, so it can decrease both momentum and horizontal speed. The amount of friction depends on the surface and the force pushing against it.

5. How can momentum and horizontal speed be changed?

Momentum and horizontal speed can be changed by applying a force to the object, either in the same direction or opposite direction of its current motion. This force can come from external factors like gravity or friction, or from internal forces like an engine or muscles.