Momentum and velocity/position vectors

In summary, Homework Equations states that the total linear momentum of the system is 2mi + 3mj and the kinetic energy before the collision is 98m and after is 68m, resulting in a net loss of 30 joules. The attempt at a solution states that one can find the velocity of the centre of mass by using the Principle of conservation of momentum and integrating from t=0 to t.
deborahlane

Homework Statement

I have two particles moving on a smooth horizontal table. The first, A, has mass m and the second, B, has mass 3m. A has velocity 2i + 3j and B has velocity 6i - 5j. They collide at the origin at t=0 and coalesce.

I have to 1) determine the velocity of the coalesced particle after the collision; 2) determine the amount of energy lost in the collision; 3) find expressions for rA(t) and rB(t) at time t<0; 4) find the position vector of the centre of mass of the system before the collision; 5) determine the velocity of the centre of mass; 6) find the position vector of the coalesced particles at time t>0 after the collision; and 7) comment on the answers to parts 3)-6)

Homework Equations

I've used the following: 1) Total linear momentum of system P=mv and found P of A is 2mi + 3mj and P of B is 18mi - 15mj, so using the Principle of conservation of momentum, I found v of coalesced particle to be 5i - 3j

2) kinetic energy=1/2mmodv2 and KE before impact is 98m and after is 68m, so loss is 30 joules.

4) rG=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]miri all divided by total mass...when I finally find the position vectors!

5) Velocity of the centre of mass=total linear momentum of the system...I think.

6) With position vectors for A and B, I'm not sure what to do here: add them, since the particles coalesce?

The Attempt at a Solution

3) My problem is from 3) onwards. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the rest of it once I have 3). I can't work out how to get from the velocity vectors to position vectors. I thought of integrating and using t=0 r=0 to find a particular solution, but that seems to just leave me with rA(t)=2ti + 3tj and rB(t)=6ti - 5tj, which just doesn't seem to make sense.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF deborahlane and thanks for taking the time to lay out your problem properly.
deborahlane said:
1) Total linear momentum of system P=mv and found P of A is 2mi + 3mj and P of B is 18mi + 15mj, so using the Principle of conservation of momentum, I found v of coalesced particle to be 5i - 3j
Correct, just a small typo highlighted in red.
deborahlane said:
2) kinetic energy=1/2mmodv2 and KE before impact is 98m and after is 68m, so loss is 30 joules.
Looks good to me.

Okay for number three:
deborahlane said:
3) 'm pretty sure I can figure out the rest of it once I have 3). I can't work out how to get from the velocity vectors to position vectors. I thought of integrating and using t=0 r=0 to find a particular solution, but that seems to just leave me with rA(t)=2ti + 3tj and rB(t)=6ti - 5tj, which just doesn't seem to make sense.
You're almost correct here. Notice that you are dealing with the case when t<0, i.e. negative time.
deborahlane said:
4) rG=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]miri all divided by total mass...when I finally find the position vectors!
Again looks good.
deborahlane said:
5) Velocity of the centre of mass=total linear momentum of the system...I think.
Don't forget to divide by the total mass!
deborahlane said:
6) With position vectors for A and B, I'm not sure what to do here: add them, since the particles coalesce?
Consider the centre of mass of the system, what can you say about the velocity of the COM before and after the collision?

Thanks, Hootenanny. Your suggestions have been very helpful! Sadly, though, I'm still lost on part 3)! I'll give it some more thought and see what more advice others can give, and what I can work out from your help!

deborahlane said:
Thanks, Hootenanny. Your suggestions have been very helpful! Sadly, though, I'm still lost on part 3)! I'll give it some more thought and see what more advice others can give, and what I can work out from your help!
Scrap my previous comment regarding question (3), your answer is entirely correct! Sorry for the confusion.

Hootenanny said:
Scrap my previous comment regarding question (3), your answer is entirely correct! Sorry for the confusion.

Great! :)

Related to Momentum and velocity/position vectors

1. What is momentum and how is it related to velocity?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically the quantity of motion that it possesses. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Velocity, on the other hand, is a measure of the speed and direction of an object's motion. Therefore, momentum and velocity are directly related, with momentum being dependent on both an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How are position and velocity vectors related?

Position and velocity vectors are related by the concept of displacement. Displacement is the change in an object's position over time. Velocity is then the rate of change of displacement, or how fast an object's position is changing. Therefore, the direction and magnitude of an object's velocity vector is determined by its position vector.

3. Can an object have momentum without having velocity?

No, an object cannot have momentum without having velocity. Since momentum is defined as an object's mass multiplied by its velocity, no velocity would result in zero momentum. However, it is important to note that an object can have velocity without having momentum if its mass is zero.

4. How can momentum and velocity be affected by external forces?

External forces can cause changes in an object's momentum and velocity. For example, if a force is applied to an object in motion, its velocity will change, resulting in a change in momentum. Similarly, if a constant force is applied to an object for a period of time, its momentum will continue to change over that time period.

5. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to the motion of an object around a central point or axis. Linear momentum is calculated using an object's mass and linear velocity, while angular momentum is calculated using an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity. Both linear and angular momentum are conserved quantities, meaning they do not change unless acted upon by an external force.