Momentum: Collision in two dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two football players, Fast Eddie McSpeedy and Big Bobby Clobber. Eddie has a mass of 85 kg and runs eastward at 2.4 m/s until colliding with Bobby, who has a mass of 140 kg and a velocity of 1.2 m/s in a direction 30 degrees south of west. The question asks for the final velocities of both players in a completely inelastic collision, as well as an approximation of the force experienced by each player during the 1.5 second collision. The solution involves finding the final momentum of the players by adding their initial momentums, and then dividing by the total mass to get the final velocity. To find the
lksmith17

Homework Statement

Fast Eddie McSpeedy is a receiver for the Kennesaw Kilowatts in the Metro Metric Football League and Big Bobby Clobber plays defense in the rival Marietta Megatons. Eddie has a mass of 85 kg and Bobby has a mass of 140 kg. Eddie catches the ball and runs eastward at 2.4 m/s until he collides with Bobby. Bobby’s velocity is 1.2 m/s in a direction 30 degrees south of west until he collides with Eddie.
(a) If Eddie and Bobby collide COMPLETELY INELASTICALLY what are each of their final velocities?
(b) If the collision between the two players lasts 1.5 seconds, approximately how much force does each player experience during the collision?

Homework Equations

Pi=Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I have split the initial momentum up in the x and y directions for the players and put it in vector form. I am Not sure how to get the final momentum of the players when stuck together.
B. All I have is the initial momentums. I do not know how to get the final momentum for the players if the collide 1.2 seconds. I think i need to find dP/dt in order to get the force exerted on each player.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lksmith17! :smile:
lksmith17 said:
A. I have split the initial momentum up in the x and y directions for the players and put it in vector form. I am Not sure how to get the final momentum of the players when stuck together.

the final momentum is the sum of the two initial momentums :wink:

(and of course divide by the total mass to get the final velocity)
B. All I have is the initial momentums. I do not know how to get the final momentum for the players if the collide 1.2 seconds. I think i need to find dP/dt in order to get the force exerted on each player.

force = rate of change of momentum = ∆P/∆t :smile:

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

4. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its momentum?

The momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. This means that a heavier or faster moving object will have a greater momentum compared to a lighter or slower moving object.

5. Can momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or other interactions. When two objects collide, the momentum of one object can be transferred to the other object, resulting in a change in their individual momentums.