Momentum - Impulse collision to find initial speeds and directions

In summary, according to the author, the impulse of particles after they collide is always either positive or negative, depending on which direction the impulse is in relation to the initial velocity of the particles.
dahoom102
Homework Statement
Two particles P and Q of masses 3 kg and 2 kg respectively are moving along the same straight line on a smooth horizontal surface. The particles collide. After the collision both the particles are moving in the same direction, the speed of P is 1 m/s and the speed of Q is 1.5 m/s. The magnitude of the impulse of P on Q is 9N s. Find:
a) Speed and direction of P before the collision
b) Speed and direction of Q before the collision
Relevant Equations
I=m(v-u)
Pf=Pi
Hi
I've tried solving this question but it seems that I flipped the direction of the impulse, what did I interpret wrong? the question didn't give any clue on their direction before so I couldn't infer the direction of the impulse. It also just gave me the magnitude without the direction. I would appreciate if you could help me know why is my diagram wrong.
Screenshots.jpeg

Screenshot_32.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
dahoom102 said:
why is my diagram wrong.
If after two particles collide they are moving in the same direction, which is moving faster, the one in the lead or the one behind?

Likes dahoom102
haruspex said:
If after two particles collide they are moving in the same direction, which is moving faster, the one in the lead or the one behind?
Oh, i just realized! how couldn't I be logical in the first place ;(. Thanks a ton haruspex!

Your equations would yield the same results as those of book (with the roles of u,v swapped) , if you change the sign of impulse in each one, that is if you had the equations $$-9=3(1-v)$$$$9=2(1.5-u)$$.

However I am confused too why we should consider the impulse as negative in the first equation with v , and as positive in the second equation with u.

Can I add a few words as I can see some sources of confusion.

In the official answer (shown in Post #1), it looks like the author has mixed sign conventions:
- for P, they have taken the positive direction to be same as the direction of the impulse acting on P (to the left);
- for Q, they have taken the positive direction to be same as the direction of the impulse acting on Q (to the right).

Very silly and/or a bit of a bodge (IMO)!

(Also note, in the official answer, ‘u’ is P’s initial velocity and ‘v’ is Q’s initial velocity. That seems logical - based on alphabetical ordering.)

A more sensible approach to the sign convention would be to use the known common direction of the final velocities as the reference. Take it to be the +x direction (to the right).

The final velocities of P and Q are then both positive (+1m/s and +1.5m/s).

It is not hard to deduce that the impulse of Q on P must have been negative (-9Ns) and the impulse of P on Q must have been positive (+9Ns).

We then get:
For P: -9 = 3(1-u) ⇒ u = 4m/s
For Q: +9 = 2(1.5 – v) ⇒ v = -3m/s

Likes PeroK
@Steve4Physics, are you suggesting the author wasn't minding their P's and Q's?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Steve4Physics and haruspex
Following the book's bad example and ignoring units, I would say.

Q has momentum ##+3## after the collision and was given an impulse of ##+9## so must have had a momentum of ##-6## before the collision.

P has momentum ##3## after an impulse of ##-9## so must have had ##12##.

It seems logical to me use momentum rather than velocity. And then get the velocity from the momentum.

Likes bob012345 and Steve4Physics

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to impulse?

Momentum and impulse are closely related, as impulse is defined as the change in an object's momentum. In other words, the impulse acting on an object is equal to the change in its momentum.

3. How do you calculate the initial speeds and directions in a collision?

To calculate the initial speeds and directions in a collision, you can use the principle of conservation of momentum. This states that the total momentum of a system before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. By setting the initial and final momentums equal to each other and solving for the unknown variables, you can determine the initial speeds and directions.

4. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision are equal. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and some kinetic energy is lost due to the objects sticking together or being permanently deformed.

5. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This simply means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its assigned positive direction. For example, if a car is moving east with a positive velocity, then a car moving west would have a negative velocity and momentum.