Momentum of Astronaut Throwing Apples in Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum velocity an astronaut can achieve by throwing apples away in space. There is a debate about whether the velocity should be constant or if it should be based on the impulse applied. The question is not clear and the result will vary based on how the astronaut throws the apples.
edowuks

Homework Statement

Astronaut is at rest in space. He has back of apples with him. How should he throw the rocks away to gain maxium velocity. (one by one, whole back, slice the apples into smaller fracments, group the apples, etc)

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I marked M_tot="total mass of apples"=n*m_app where m_app is mass of one apple and n the quantity of apples. When he throws the whole back (ignoring the mass of back) he gains velocity V_a=(M_tot*V)/(m_ast-M_tot) where V is the velocity he throws the back and m_ast is his mass. Now when he throws one by one he is at rest first so after throwing the momentum must be p_1=(m_ast-m_app)*V_ast1=m_appV, now when he throws second apple the momentum of system is P_1 so new momentum is P_2=(m_ast-2*m_app)V_ast2=2*m_app*V and continuing this way I get exact same velocity that I got at first since P_n=V_astn*(m_ast-M_tot)=m_tot*V.
But does it really go this easy way (I thought I needed to integrate something, but couldn,t get any equation for force), and am I thinking that velocity right. Now it is velocity relative to astronaut, should it be velocity relative to space?

Thanks for your help, and sorry my not-so-good english skills

Physics news on Phys.org
yes you appear to have done it correctly. and your result is correct too, you should get the same result no matter how small the pieces are as long as you throw each piece with the same velocity.

there is no universal reference frame. So in this problem we would just measure their velocities relative to an observer at rest.

I rethought it and am I really right. I mean in that solution I have assumed that the velocity astronaut gives to one apple is same as the velocity he gives to whole bag. But is the velocity really constant, shouldn't it be impulse that is constant since astronaut is human he has maxium force he can give to apple. But thinking that way he recaives much higher velocity by throwing apples one by one, that throwing whole bag.

excellent point. I think the question is a little vague in this area, so it's difficult to tell.
If we assume he could throw all pieces with the exact same velocity (which is probably unlikely) then you did it correctly.

So, a better way to do it would probably be to assume the astronaut can only apply a certain force to each piece (which is more realistic). In this case each piece would have the same acceleration but different velocities.

But, it really all depends on how he throws it. If he throws the large bag but applies an impulse then his momentum will be greater. So the question is poorly worded.

Related to Momentum of Astronaut Throwing Apples in Space

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In other words, it is the quantity of motion an object possesses.

How is momentum of an astronaut calculated?

The momentum of an astronaut can be calculated by multiplying their mass by their velocity. This calculation is represented by the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

Why is momentum important for astronauts?

Momentum is important for astronauts because it determines how difficult it is to change their direction or stop their motion. In space, where there is no air resistance, objects will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Knowing the momentum of an astronaut can help in planning and executing space missions.

How does an astronaut's mass affect their momentum?

An astronaut's mass directly affects their momentum. The greater the mass, the greater the momentum. This means that a heavier astronaut will have a harder time changing their direction or stopping their motion compared to a lighter astronaut.

Can an astronaut change their momentum in space?

Yes, an astronaut can change their momentum in space by exerting a force in the opposite direction of their motion. This can be done by using thrusters on their spacecraft or using tools to push off of objects in space. By changing their momentum, they can change their direction or speed of motion.