Momentum of variable mass system - train & rain

In summary, the problem involves an open-topped railway wagon collecting rainwater at a constant rate while rolling on a frictionless track. The velocity of the wagon at time t after entering the rain shower is given by v(t) = [Mv(0)]/[M+μt]. If the wagon had a drain hole, its velocity at time t would be v(t) = v(0) - μt. The momentum of the system (wagon plus water) increases with time in case A, but decreases in case B due to the water leaving the wagon with zero relative velocity.
Beelzebro

Homework Statement

An open-topped railway wagon of mass M is rolling freely along straight level frictionless track at a constant velocity v0. At time t=0 the wagon enters a heavy rain shower and starts to collect rainwater. The rain falls vertically. As a consequence the wagons mass increases at a rate of μ per second

A. Show that the velocity v(t) at time t after entering the shower is v(t) = [Mv(0)]/[M+μt]

B. If the wagon had been fitted with a drain hole to prevent rainwater accumulating, find its velocity at time t, assuming that the water leaves the wagon at zero relative velocity.

C. Compute the momentum of the system (the system being the wagon plus water in A, and wagon in B) as a function of time, and explain the qualitative difference between cases A and B.

Homework Equations

Newtons 2nd law
P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer to A:
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5905/dsc01142nk.jpg
Answer to B:
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6921/dsc01143y.jpg
Answer to C:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3945/dsc01144g.jpg

Basically I don't need a huge amount of help as I think I grasp the physics of the problem. But I'm a bit unsure about C. I know that for system B the momentum should be decreasing, because the system is gaining μt rainwater with velocity zero and losing μt rainwater with velocity v(t). But looking at the equation it seems to me that the momentum increases with time, until μt = M at which point it asymptotes. This definitely doesn't seem right.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also apologies if the images are too big, I'm not sure how to resize them :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Woooooaahhh ok the images were huge. I've spoiler tagged them but they're still massive. Can someone tell me how to resize please? (sorry this is my first thread I'm a noob)

EDIT: ok well spoiler tags achieved nothing. What use are spoiler tags when they don't hide whatever you put in them??

What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically its mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

How does the momentum of a variable mass system change?

The momentum of a variable mass system, such as a train and rain system, changes when there is a change in the mass or velocity of the system. This can be caused by external forces acting on the system, such as the force of the rain hitting the train or the train accelerating or decelerating.

Does the rain affect the momentum of the train?

Yes, the rain does affect the momentum of the train. The force of the rain hitting the train adds to the overall momentum of the system, causing it to increase.

What happens to the momentum of the train when it enters a tunnel?

When the train enters a tunnel, the mass of the system remains the same but the velocity changes. This change in velocity causes a change in momentum, either increasing or decreasing depending on the direction of the velocity change.

How is the momentum of the train and rain system related to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of the train and rain system, the action is the force of the rain hitting the train, and the reaction is the increase in momentum of the system. The two forces are equal and opposite, as described by Newton's Third Law.