Momentum/Position space wave function

In summary: I'm still trying to get my head around this, not sure if I understood it correctly... When we write ##|\Psi\rangle##, it means we haven't specify any particular basis set to represent the state vector, when we write ##\Psi(x)##, it means we are writing the component of ##|\Psi\rangle## along an element of a basis set that uses variable ##x##, like ##\{1/x,1/x^2,\dots\}##? In summary, the momentum space wave function Φ(p,t) is the Fourier transform of the position space wave function Ψ(x,t), while the position space wave function Ψ(x,t) is the
WeiShan Ng
These are from Griffith's:
Momentum space wave function ##\Phi(p,t)## is the Fourier transform of ##\Psi(x,t)##
$$\Phi(p,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ipx/\hbar} \Psi(x,t) \, dx$$
Position space wave function ##\Psi(x,t)## is the inverse transform of ##\Phi(p,t)##
$$\Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ipx/\hbar} \Phi(x,t) \, dp$$
And ##|\Phi(p,t)|^2 = |c(p)|^2## is the probability of getting one of the eigenvalue of the momentum operator.
Momentum eigenfunctions are ##f_p(x) = (1/\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}) exp(ipx/\hbar)##
$$c(p) = \langle f_p|\Psi \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ipx/\hbar} \Psi(x,t) \, dx$$
while ##|\Psi(y,t)|^2 = |c(y)|^2## is the probability of getting one of the eigenvalue of the position operator.
Position eigenfunctions are ##g_y(x) = \delta(x-y)##
$$c(y)=\langle g_y|\Psi\rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-y) \Psi(x,t) \, dx = \Psi(y,t)$$
My lecture note says that
Physical duality of ##\Psi## and ##\Phi## specify the same state of the system and we can compute one from another

I am having quite a confusion over here...Does the ##\Psi## in the expression ##\langle f_p|\Psi \rangle## equals to ##\Psi(x,t)##? I understand it as ##\Psi(x,t)## being the component of the position basis to form ##\Psi##, so ##\Psi## is a state vector and ##\Psi(x,t)## is the "coefficients"?
And when it says ##\Psi## and ##\Phi## both specifying the same state of the system, should they be ##\Psi(x,t)## and ##\Phi(p,t)## (the coefficients) instead? If so we will have
$$\begin{align*} \Psi &= \int c(p) f_p \, dx =\int \left[ \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}} e^{-ipx'/ \hbar} \Psi(x',t) \, dx' \right] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}} e^{ipx/\hbar} \, dx \\
&= \int c(y) g_y \, dx = \int \Psi(y,t) \delta(x-y) dx = \Psi(y,t) \end{align*}$$
And if I use the Fourier transform of ##\delta(x)##
$$\delta(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ikx} \, dk$$
I get
$$\frac{1}{2\pi\hbar} \int e^{ipx/\hbar} \, dx = \delta(p) $$
which means the first line will be
$$\Psi = \int e^{-ipx'/\hbar} \Psi(x',t) \, dx' \delta(p) = \int \Psi(x',t) dx'$$
So I get ##\int \Psi(x',t) \, dx## and ##\Psi(y,t)=\Psi(x,t)## both equal to ##\Psi##?

Physics news on Phys.org
WeiShan Ng said:
I am having quite a confusion over here..

Write the momentum eigen vector [itex]\hat{P} | p \rangle = p | p \rangle[/itex] in the coordinate space as [tex]\langle x | p \rangle = (2\pi \hbar)^{-1/2} e^{i p \cdot x / \hbar} .[/tex] Now, any vector [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex] can be expanded in an arbitrary orthonormal basis [itex]\{| \alpha \rangle\}[/itex] according to [tex]|\Psi \rangle = \int d \alpha \ | \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha | \Psi \rangle .[/tex] The component of the vector [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex] along the “x-direction” in the coordinate space, i.e., the wavefunction [itex]\Psi (x)[/itex] is calculated from [tex]\Psi (x) \equiv \langle x | \Psi \rangle = \int d \alpha \ \langle x | \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha | \Psi \rangle .[/tex] Or [tex]\Psi (x) = \int d \alpha \ \langle x | \alpha \rangle \Psi (\alpha) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex] If the [itex]\langle x | \alpha \rangle[/itex] is a Kernel of a Fourier transform, we usually write [itex]\tilde{\Psi}(\alpha)[/itex] or [itex]\Phi (\alpha)[/itex] instead of [itex]\Psi (\alpha)[/itex] on the RHS of (1). This is the case when you take [itex]\alpha = p[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes WeiShan Ng and dextercioby
I'm still trying to get my head around this, not sure if I understood it correctly... When we write ##|\Psi\rangle##, it means we haven't specify any particular basis set to represent the state vector, when we write ##\Psi(x)##, it means we are writing the component of ##|\Psi\rangle## along an element of a basis set that uses variable ##x##, like ##\{1/x,1/x^2,\dots\}##?

And in
samalkhaiat said:
$$Ψ(x)≡⟨x|Ψ⟩=∫dα ⟨x|α⟩⟨α|Ψ⟩.$$
for the ##∫dα ⟨x|α⟩⟨α|Ψ⟩##, does it mean we are finding ##|\Psi\rangle## in the direction of ##|x\rangle## then represent this using a set of basis vectors ##\{|\alpha\rangle\}##, i.e. we perform a basis tranformation??

WeiShan Ng said:
I'm still trying to get my head around this, not sure if I understood it correctly... When we write ##|\Psi\rangle##, it means we haven't specify any particular basis set to represent the state vector, when we write ##\Psi(x)##, it means we are writing the component of ##|\Psi\rangle## along an element of a basis set that uses variable ##x##, like ##\{1/x,1/x^2,\dots\}##?
Make the following correspondence with Linear Algebra [tex]|\Psi \rangle \to \vec{V} , \ \ \ \mbox{Abstract Vector},[/tex][tex]| \alpha \rangle \to \hat{e}_{i} , \ \ \ \mbox{Orthogonal unit vectors},[/tex][tex]\langle \alpha | \Psi \rangle \to \hat{e}_{i}\cdot \vec{V} = V_{i} , \ \ \mbox{component in i-direction},[/tex] [tex]\int d \alpha \to \sum_{i}.[/tex] Now the expansion [tex]| \Psi \rangle = \int d \alpha \ | \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha | \Psi \rangle ,[/tex] will correspond to [tex]\vec{V} = \sum_{i} \hat{e}_{i} \left( \hat{e}_{i} \cdot \vec{V}\right) = \sum_{i} \hat{e}_{i}V_{i}.[/tex] Do you recognise this equation?

we perform a basis tranformation??
Yes, it is simply a linear transformation relating the components of the vector in two different “coordinate systems”. That is the component of the vector [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex] “along” the “unit” vector [itex]|x\rangle[/itex] (i.e., the number [itex]\Psi (x) \equiv \langle x | \Psi \rangle[/itex]) is related to its component “along” the “unit” vector [itex]|\alpha \rangle[/itex] (i.e., the number [itex]\Psi (\alpha) = \langle \alpha | \Psi \rangle[/itex]) by the transformation “matrix” [itex]\langle x | \alpha \rangle \equiv M(x, \alpha)[/itex]. So [tex]\langle x | \Psi \rangle = \int d \alpha \langle x | \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha | \Psi \rangle [/tex] is same as [tex]\Psi (x) = \int d \alpha \ M( x , \alpha) \Psi (\alpha ) .[/tex] This corresponds to the familiar linear (matrix) transformations in vector algebra [tex]V^{'}_{i} = \sum_{j} M_{ij} V_{j}[/tex]

Remember [itex]| \Psi \rangle[/itex] is an abstract vector (just like the vector [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] in ordinary vector algebra) and [itex]\langle \beta | \Phi \rangle = \Phi ( \beta )[/itex] is a complex number representing the component of the vector [itex]|\Phi \rangle[/itex] in the basis [itex]| \beta \rangle[/itex] (just like the real number [itex]V_{i}[/itex] which represents the component of [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] along the unit vector [itex]\hat{e}_{i}[/itex]).

Last edited:
Likes MichPod and WeiShan Ng

1. What is a momentum/position space wave function?

A momentum/position space wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system in terms of its momentum and position coordinates. It describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and with a certain momentum.

2. How does the momentum/position space wave function relate to the wave-particle duality?

The momentum/position space wave function is used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level, where they exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. It represents the wave-like nature of particles by describing their probability amplitudes as wave functions in momentum and position space.

3. What is the difference between a momentum space wave function and a position space wave function?

A momentum space wave function describes the probability of finding a particle with a certain momentum, while a position space wave function describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position. They are related to each other through a mathematical transformation known as a Fourier transform.

4. How is the momentum/position space wave function related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The momentum/position space wave function is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This is because the wave function spreads out in both momentum and position space, making it impossible to know both quantities with absolute certainty.

5. How is the momentum/position space wave function used in quantum mechanics?

The momentum/position space wave function is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, used to calculate the behavior of quantum systems and predict the outcomes of experiments. It is also used to derive other important quantities, such as energy levels and transition probabilities, and is essential in understanding the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level.