Momentum Transfer in Scattering

In summary, momentum transfer in scattering is the exchange of momentum between particles during a collision or interaction, resulting in changes in direction and/or speed. The magnitude of momentum transfer is calculated by taking the difference between initial and final momenta, and is influenced by factors such as particle masses, velocities, and collision angle. Momentum transfer is also related to energy transfer, particularly in elastic collisions. Some real-world applications of momentum transfer in scattering include particle accelerators, medical imaging, and materials science.
Muh. Fauzi M.

Homework Statement

This is just a simple proof of substitution, but after one day struggle, I still can't get where that minus sign appear.

Homework Equations

Here is the equation:
$$ (p_1 - p_3)^2=-(\mathbf p_1 - \mathbf p_3)^2$$
where ##p_1=(E/c,\mathbf p_1)## and ##p_3=(E/c, \mathbf p_3)## is four-momentum of incident and scattered electron respectively, with stationary target.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my doodling:
$$
(p_1 - p_3)^2=(E/c+\mathbf p_1-E/c-\mathbf p_3)^2=(\mathbf p_1 - \mathbf p_3)^2.
$$
Which step that I miss?

Physics news on Phys.org
ah, I've got it. solved by myself.

1. What is momentum transfer in scattering?

Momentum transfer in scattering refers to the transfer of momentum from one particle to another during a collision or interaction. This transfer can result in changes in the direction and/or speed of the particles involved.

2. How is momentum transfer calculated?

The magnitude of momentum transfer is calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final momenta of the particles involved in the collision or interaction. The direction of momentum transfer is perpendicular to the direction of the incoming particle's momentum and is defined by the scattering angle.

3. What factors influence momentum transfer in scattering?

The magnitude of momentum transfer in scattering is influenced by the masses and velocities of the particles involved, as well as the angle at which they collide or interact. Additionally, the type of force acting between the particles can also affect the amount of momentum transferred.

4. How is momentum transfer related to energy transfer in scattering?

Momentum and energy are related in scattering, as a change in momentum can also result in a change in kinetic energy. This is especially true in elastic collisions, where no energy is lost during the interaction and the total momentum remains constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of momentum transfer in scattering?

Momentum transfer in scattering is a fundamental concept in various fields of science and technology. It is used in particle accelerators to study the properties of subatomic particles, in medical imaging techniques such as X-ray scattering, and in materials science to understand the behavior of materials under impact or stress.