Monic Generator (Minimal Polynomial)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the monic generator and minimal polynomial for a transformation, H, from the space of polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2 over the reals to a three-dimensional subspace of R[x]. The steps to finding the minimal polynomial are outlined, and a suggestion is made to use the three-dimensional subspace as the "range" space to obtain a 3x3 matrix.
gain01
1. Homework Statement [/b]
Let V be the space of all polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2 over the reals. Define the transformation, H, as a mapping from V to R[x] by [tex](Hp)(x)=\int^x_{-1}p(t)dt\\[/tex]. a) Find the monic generator, d, which generates the ideal, M, containing the range of H.
b) If [tex]f\in{M\cap Range(H)[/tex] then [tex]f=dg[/tex] where d is given above. Show that [tex]g\in{V} [/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the monic generator is the minimal polynomial which annihilates H. The way I would find the minimal polynomial is
1. find a basis for V
2. find the matrix representation for H with respect the basis
3. find the characteristic eqn of the matrix
4. the minimal polynomial divides the characteristic polynomial.

But when I try step 2, I keep getting a 4 x 3 matrix which doesn't have a determinant. So i don't know how I would find the characteristic eqn.

Physics news on Phys.org
H maps V into a 3 dimensional subspace of R[x]. Use that three dimensional subspace as the "range" space rather than R[x] and you will get a 3 by 3 matrix.

Related to Monic Generator (Minimal Polynomial)

1. What is a Monic Generator?

A Monic Generator is a mathematical tool used to find the minimal polynomial of a matrix. It is a monic polynomial, meaning that the leading coefficient is equal to 1.

2. How is a Monic Generator calculated?

A Monic Generator is calculated by first finding the characteristic polynomial of a matrix, then using the Euclidean algorithm to divide the characteristic polynomial by the greatest common divisor of the characteristic polynomial and its derivative.

3. Why is the Monic Generator important?

The Monic Generator is important because it helps to find the minimal polynomial, which is the smallest polynomial that satisfies the given matrix. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra and differential equations.

4. Can a Monic Generator be used for non-square matrices?

No, a Monic Generator can only be used for square matrices. Non-square matrices do not have characteristic polynomials and therefore cannot have minimal polynomials.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Monic Generator?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Monic Generator. It can only be used for matrices with elements from a field, and it may not always produce the desired minimal polynomial if the matrix has repeated eigenvalues.