Monotony of a recurrence relation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if a recurrence relation is increasing or decreasing. The given relation is A1 = 1 and An = (An-1)^5 - 3. It is agreed that the relation decreases since every term for n>=2 is a negative number raised to an odd number. However, the person is struggling to demonstrate this mathematically and has tried using induction with no success. Suggestions are made to show that |A_n| is strictly increasing and if all terms are negative, this shows that A_n is strictly decreasing. The conversation ends with thanks for the help and a commitment to continue practicing.
Keru
What method should i use to know if a recurrence relation is increasing or decreasing?
i was given the following relation:
A1 = 1
An=(An-1)^5 - 3

I know for sure it actually decreases since every term for n>=2 is a negative number raised to and odd number, but i don't know how to demonstrate it mathematically. I tried using induction, but it doesn't work...

Thanks to whoever can answer me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Keru said:
What method should i use to know if a recurrence relation is increasing or decreasing?
A1 = 1
An=(An-1)^5 - 3

I know for sure it actually decreases since every term for n>=2 is a negative number raised to and odd number, but i don't know how to demonstrate it mathematically. I tried using induction, but it doesn't work...

Why do you think induction doesn't work?

It's clear that if ##A_n < 0## then ##A_{n+1} < A_n## and that's your inductive step.

Keru said:
A1 = 1
An=(An-1)^5 - 3

You can show that [itex]|A_n|[/itex] is strictly increasing. If all terms are negative this shows that [itex]A_n[/itex] is strictly decreasing. For [itex]n \geq 2[/itex] you have that [itex]|A_{n+1}| = |A_n^5 - 3| = |A_{n}|^5 + 3 > |A_n|^5[/itex]. If you can show that [itex]|A_{n}|^5 > |A_n|[/itex] you are done.

Thanks guys, very quick and useful answers! I'll keep practising so i can see it by myself next time!

I understand your frustration with trying to mathematically prove the monotony of a recurrence relation. The best method to determine if a recurrence relation is increasing or decreasing is to use the first and second derivative tests.

In this particular case, we can use the first derivative test to show that the relation is decreasing. Taking the first derivative of the recurrence relation, we get:

An' = 5(An-1)^4 * An-1'

Since An-1' is always negative (as every term for n>=2 is a negative number raised to an odd power), and 5(An-1)^4 is always positive, An' will always be negative. This means that the value of An decreases as n increases.

Alternatively, we can also use the second derivative test by taking the second derivative of the recurrence relation. If the second derivative is negative, then the relation is decreasing. In this case, taking the second derivative gives us:

An'' = 20(An-1)^3 * (An-1')^2 - 20(An-1)^4 * An-1''

Again, since An-1' is always negative and (An-1)^3 and (An-1)^4 are always positive, An'' will always be negative. This confirms that the relation is decreasing.

I hope this helps you understand how to mathematically demonstrate the monotony of a recurrence relation. Keep in mind that these tests may not always work for every recurrence relation, but they are a good starting point. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Monotony of a recurrence relation

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical formula that describes a sequence of numbers, where each term is defined in terms of one or more previous terms.

2. What is the significance of monotony in a recurrence relation?

Monotony refers to the trend or pattern of the sequence described by a recurrence relation. It helps determine whether the sequence is increasing, decreasing, or staying constant.

3. How is monotony determined in a recurrence relation?

Monotony can be determined by examining the values of consecutive terms in the sequence. If the terms are consistently increasing, the sequence is said to be monotonically increasing. If the terms are consistently decreasing, the sequence is monotonically decreasing. If the terms stay the same, the sequence is monotonically constant.

4. What is the significance of monotony in scientific research?

In scientific research, monotony in a recurrence relation can indicate a predictable trend or pattern in a system, which can help in making predictions and understanding the behavior of the system over time.

5. How can monotony be used to solve problems in scientific research?

By understanding the monotony of a recurrence relation, scientists can use mathematical techniques such as induction and proof by contradiction to solve problems and prove theorems related to the sequence described by the recurrence relation.