Monte Carlo method to generate standard normal

In summary, the Monte Carlo method can be used to generate the mean, variance and kurtosis of a standard normal distribution.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Problem:
I need to use the Monte Carlo method to generate the mean, variance and kurtosis of the standard normal distribution. It has to be coded in Matlab, so there are two parts to this question:

1) The theory
2) The code

Any help on either is appreciated.

My attempt:
To find $E[X]$ for a random variable we can use the definition \(\displaystyle E[X]=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x*f(x)dx\), where $f(x)$ is the distribution's pdf.

I believe the first step is to general a random sample to use. Now my thought is to use random standard uniform variables on $[0,1]$ but I'm not sure.

Once we do that we find the mean for each $X$ and average them for n samples. It should converge to 0.

There are clearly some mistakes here in the set up so any guidance or comments is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh man was I way off. :eek:

I need to simply generate a large amount of standard normal random variables and then take their average to estimate $E[X]$.

Here's the Matlab code I did for this in case anyone is interested:

Code:
clear all;

x=randn(10000,1);

for i=1:10000
    m(i,1)=sum(x(1:i))/i;
end;

figure(1)
plot (1:10000,m(1:10000,:))

Now on to the variance and kurtosis!

Jameson said:
Oh man was I way off. :eek:

I need to simply generate a large amount of standard normal random variables and then take their average to estimate $E[X]$.

Here's the Matlab code I did for this in case anyone is interested:

Code:
clear all;

x=randn(10000,1);

end;

figure(1)
plot (1:10000,m(1:10000,:))

Now on to the variance and kurtosis!

Code that generalises could be something like:

Code:
N=100;M=20;
x=randn(N,M);
mN=mean(x);  %takes means of the columns of x, leaves a sample of M means of N standard normals
GrandMean=mean(mN)

Code:
N=100;M=20;
x=randn(N,M);
vN=var(x,0);  %takes var of the columns of x, leaves a sample of M bias corrected vars of N standard normals
GrandVar=mean(vN)

Code:
N=100;M=20;
x=randn(N,M);
kN=kurtosis(x,0);  %takes kurts of the columns of x, leaves a sample of M bias 
                   %corrected kurts of N standard normals
GrandKur=mean(kN)

If you just want the statistic from a large sample set M=1.

If you are interested in the sampling distribution of your statistics look at the histograms of mN, vN and kN.

You might also be interested in the un-corrected stats in which case IIRC use var(x,1) and kurtosis(x,1)

Last edited:
For some reason I have a tendency to write things as one long column or row vector, so I'll make something that's 100x1 instead of 10x10. Sometimes the 10x10 configuration seems to have benefits, like you're pointing out.

Here is the code I just finished. I'm not quite satisfied because I had to cheat a little bit to get the kurtosis and use the fact that I know the mean is 0 and the S.D. is 1, instead of using the estimators I found.

Code:
clear all;
x=randn(10000,1);

%mean
    varianceofm(i,1)=var(m(1:i));

%variance
    sse(i,1)=(x(i)-m(i))^2;
    v(i,1)=(1/(i))*sum(sse(1:i));
    varianceofv(i,1)=var(v(1:i));

%kurtosis
    k(i,1)=(1/i)*sum(x(1:i).^4);
    varianceofk(i,1)=var(k(1:i));
end;

You can also use a quasirandom (low discrepancy) number sequence to converge faster and require less samples, though it's not that big a deal for a 1D integral, but it's good to know since most numerical computing languages have something like that built-in as a drop-in replacement for e.g. randn().

Uniform random sequences converge at a rate of $O(\sqrt{n})$ for $n$ samples, whereas low-discrepancy sequences converge at a rate of $O(n)$, i.e. after $n$ samples the error will be on the order of $\frac{1}{n}$ compared to $\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}$. The catch is that you need to pay attention to how you generate those sequences, as they may be correlated depending on the algorithm used (especially in high dimensions e.g. > 10, where it just gets messy) but the language will take care of that for you.

1. What is the Monte Carlo method?

The Monte Carlo method is a computational technique used to simulate and analyze complex systems or phenomena by repeatedly sampling random values and aggregating the results. It is commonly used in various fields, including statistics, physics, and finance.

2. How does the Monte Carlo method generate a standard normal distribution?

The Monte Carlo method generates a standard normal distribution by using a random number generator to create a large number of data points that follow a normal distribution. These data points are then averaged and standardized to have a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1, resulting in a standard normal distribution.

3. What are the advantages of using the Monte Carlo method for generating a standard normal distribution?

One advantage of using the Monte Carlo method is its ability to handle complex systems or phenomena that cannot be solved analytically. Additionally, it allows for the incorporation of random variation, making it useful for simulating real-world scenarios. It also provides a more accurate representation of the underlying distribution compared to other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Monte Carlo method for generating a standard normal distribution?

The Monte Carlo method can be computationally intensive, requiring a large number of samples to accurately represent the underlying distribution. It also relies on the assumption that the underlying distribution is normal, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may be difficult to validate the results of the simulation without prior knowledge of the expected distribution.

5. How is the Monte Carlo method used in practice?

The Monte Carlo method is used in various applications, such as risk assessment, option pricing, and uncertainty analysis. In practice, it involves defining the system or phenomenon of interest, selecting appropriate variables and distributions, and running simulations to generate data and analyze the results. It is a powerful tool for decision-making and can provide valuable insights into complex systems.