Moon Halo Diameter Caclulation

In summary, the conversation discusses a Moon Halo phenomenon and the question of its diameter and how it is affected by ice crystals. Trigonometry can be used to determine the diameter, but the relevance of this result is questioned due to variations in cloud structure and observer location.
jmvizanko
So I got to see an amazing Moon Halo the other night. My question is, what is really the diameter of the average location in the halo, where the light is bent by ice crystals? Is it really as easy as doing the trig with the altitude to your average cirrus cloud, the angle above the horizon that the moon is at, and the 44° cone that the halo represents? Or have I fundamentally misunderstood the phenomena?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Trigonometry should work.
I don't see the relevance of the result, however. The clouds do not have any structure of that size, and different observers will see rings at different locations (and even different size, with a different altitude).

1. How is the moon halo diameter calculated?

The moon halo diameter is calculated using the trigonometric formula, where the diameter of the halo is equal to the product of the moon's altitude and the constant 1.22.

2. What is the significance of the moon's altitude in calculating the halo diameter?

The moon's altitude is a crucial factor in calculating the halo diameter because it determines the angle at which the moon's light enters the ice crystals in the atmosphere, creating the halo effect.

3. Can the moon halo diameter be accurately determined from any location on Earth?

No, the moon halo diameter can vary depending on the location of the observer and the atmospheric conditions. It is most accurately calculated at locations near the equator with clear skies.

4. How often do moon halos occur?

Moon halos occur relatively frequently, typically once or twice a month. However, they may not always be visible due to cloud cover or other atmospheric conditions.

5. Is there a specific time of day when moon halos are most likely to be seen?

Moon halos can be seen at any time of day or night, as long as the moon is above the horizon and the atmospheric conditions are favorable. However, they are most commonly seen during the late evening or early morning when the moon is closer to the horizon.