More Questions about Protective Relays

• Thread starter Josh111
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is attempting to protect two power sources from overcurrent, under/overvoltage, and under/overfrequency using double throw switches to switch between two breaker panels. They are considering using a normally open contactor instead of a shunt trip breaker, but are unsure if a solid state relay or mercury relay would be better for the application. The generators are 83 amp 120/208 volt 3 phase 24 KW and the individual is seeking advice from a professional electrical engineer due to safety concerns. They are looking for a solution that will not weaken or fail over time.
Josh111
I am trying to protect two power sources from two generators from overcurrent, under/overvoltage, under/overfrequency,etc.
There will be two generators running during the day and one running at night, I have double throw switches to switch the two breaker panels to run on one generator each or to share one generator. One generator's relay will run almost 24/7 and the other will cycle once per day.(Generators not ran in parallel.)

I do not wish to use a shunt trip breaker connected to the protective relays for this purpose because I do not have an uninterruptable power supply. I was thinking of using a normally open contactor instead. I know a regular electromechanical relay will not last long in this application. What I am wondering is if it would be best to use a solid state relay or a mercury relay or something else for this application?

The generators are 83 amp 120/208 volt 3 phase 24 KW.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since safety is obviously an issue, and there are just so many unanswered questions about your setup, I wouldn't rely on guesses found in a forum. To make a good decision here, you need a pro electrical engineer that has intimate knowledge of your setup and requirements.

This is a home project I am just looking for something that will last and not get weak if I used electromechanical contactors continues rating and hold contacts the problem would be the risk of the coils becoming weak and failing this is all I am asking about. If the contactor fails, there is no immediate danger. I am an electrician.

1. What are protective relays?

Protective relays are devices used in electrical systems to sense abnormal conditions and initiate appropriate actions to protect the system from damage. These conditions can include overloads, short circuits, and ground faults.

2. How do protective relays work?

Protective relays work by continuously monitoring the electrical parameters of a system, such as voltage and current. When abnormal conditions are detected, the protective relay sends a signal to trip a circuit breaker, isolate the faulty area, and prevent further damage.

3. What are the different types of protective relays?

There are several types of protective relays, including overcurrent relays, differential relays, distance relays, and directional relays. Each type is designed to protect against specific types of faults and abnormal conditions.

4. How are protective relays tested?

Protective relays are tested using specialized equipment that simulates fault conditions and checks the response of the relay. This testing is typically performed regularly to ensure the relays are functioning correctly and can accurately protect the system.

5. What are some common protective relay settings?

Common protective relay settings include pickup current or voltage levels, time delays, and coordination with other relays in the system. These settings are carefully chosen to ensure the relays can accurately detect faults and protect the system without causing unnecessary tripping.