Morh's Cicle with two shear forces

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving torques and Mohr's circle. The problem can be solved by calculating the normal and shear stresses for each side using the given forces and dimensions, and then using those values to determine the coordinates for the Mohr's circle. However, the topic of sign conventions causes confusion and may require further assistance.
snowJT

Homework Statement

click on link for picture of problem
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/DrGame/morhs.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm just really confused because you have two torques, and you can't draw morh's circle that way.. I've tried about 3 hours of various things, but I can not get this to make sense.. can I have a hint what to do with the toques?

I've tried adding them, averaging them out..

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by torques?

Take a square element and draw all the shear and normal forces on it. Pay attention to which sign convention that you are using in your course.

Start out by calculating the normal and shear stresses for each side (sigma x, sigma y, and tau xy). You are given the forces and dimensions. Once you have those, you will have the coordinates for the mohr circle.

This mohr circle part is difficult for me to assist you, because there are different sign conventions for this topic.

If you can get the sigmax and y, and tau xy...I can help with the mohr's circle.

1. What is Morh's Circle with two shear forces?

Morh's Circle with two shear forces is a graphical method used in the field of mechanics to analyze stress and strain on a material subjected to two shear forces. It helps determine the principal stresses and their orientation in a material.

2. How is Morh's Circle with two shear forces constructed?

Morh's Circle with two shear forces is constructed by plotting the two shear forces on a graph, with one force on the horizontal axis and the other on the vertical axis. The center of the circle is then located at the intersection of the two forces, and the radius of the circle is equal to half the difference between the two forces.

3. What is the significance of Morh's Circle with two shear forces?

Morh's Circle with two shear forces is used to analyze the state of stress in a material and determine its strength and stability. It is a powerful tool in engineering and material science, as it allows for the prediction of failure and deformation in various materials.

4. What are the assumptions made in Morh's Circle with two shear forces?

The main assumptions made in Morh's Circle with two shear forces are that the material is isotropic (uniform properties in all directions), elastic (obeys Hooke's law), and homogeneous (uniform composition). Additionally, it assumes that the material is in a state of plane stress, meaning that the stress is acting in two dimensions.

5. How is Morh's Circle with two shear forces applied in real-life situations?

Morh's Circle with two shear forces is commonly used in structural engineering and materials testing to analyze the stress and strain on various structures and materials. It is also used in geotechnical engineering to study the stability of soil and rock structures. Furthermore, it is used in the design of mechanical components to ensure their strength and durability.