Mortgages & Bonds: YTM of Zero Par Value

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a mortgage can be treated as a bond with a zero par value and if it is possible to calculate the yield to maturity (YTM) for such a bond. The formula for calculating YTM is also mentioned, with the questioner seeking clarification on whether they have understood the problem correctly.
Oxymoron

Homework Statement

If a bank issues a mortgage to a borrower, let's say that it was for $P, for t years with an annual interest rate i% compounded monthly. Then, to the bank, can this essentially be treated like a bond with price $P, coupon rate i% and maturity t years?

It could be treated like a bond with a 0 par value right?

My only problem is that when I try to calculate the yield to maturity (YTM) of a bond with a zero par value I get an undefined answer. Is it possible to calculate the YTM of a mortgage (bond with zero par)?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a zero face-value bond, wouldn't the YTM just be r, where:

[tex]
P = \frac{C}{r}\left( {1 - \frac{1}{{(1 + r)^n }}} \right)
[/tex]

and C is the coupon payment? If the coupon is just i% of the loan value i.e. C=iP, then the yield would be given by r where:

[tex]
1 = \frac{i}{r}\left( {1 - \frac{1}{{(1 + r)^n }}} \right)
[/tex]

Have i understood the problem correctly? I don't see why the yield would be undefined.

Last edited:

Related to Mortgages & Bonds: YTM of Zero Par Value

1. What is the YTM of a zero par value bond?

The Yield to Maturity (YTM) of a zero par value bond is the annualized return on investment if the bond is held until maturity. It takes into account the bond's current market price, the face value, and the time to maturity.

2. How is the YTM of a zero par value bond calculated?

The YTM of a zero par value bond is calculated by solving the present value equation for the bond's yield. This involves using the bond's current market price, the face value, and the time to maturity in the equation.

3. What factors affect the YTM of a zero par value bond?

The YTM of a zero par value bond is affected by the bond's current market price, the face value, the time to maturity, and the prevailing interest rates in the market. If interest rates increase, the YTM of the bond will decrease and vice versa.

4. How does the YTM of a zero par value bond differ from a regular bond?

The main difference between the YTM of a zero par value bond and a regular bond is that the YTM of a zero par value bond does not take into account any interest payments. This is because zero par value bonds do not pay any interest, but are instead sold at a discount and redeemed at face value upon maturity.

5. Why is the YTM of a zero par value bond important?

The YTM of a zero par value bond is important because it allows investors to compare the return on investment of different bonds. It also helps investors to determine if a bond is trading at a discount or premium and if it is a good investment opportunity.