MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal

In summary: If you solve for gm, you'll get the output impedance (Zout). If you solve for Vo/ro, you'll get the load current (i_rd, i_rl, and i_ro).In summary, In the notes for a mosfet amplifier lecture, it says that the output resistance is Rd ∥ Rl ∥ ro. However, if you include the current i_d, that output resistance no longer holds. How is it possible to remove that id branch?
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Hi,

so I was trying to derive the small-signal model of a common-source mosfet amplifier that I learned from the notes. Here is what I did,

4e7997fed0.png

1b72d34c1e.png

Now the issue is the i_d branch in the final small-signal circuit. In my lecture notes, that i_d branch is not there at all but when I derived it I do have it there.
The lecture notes goes on to say that the output resistance for this circuit is Rd ∥ Rl ∥ ro. However if you include i_d like in my case, that no longer holds.

How is it possible to remove that id branch?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 4e7997fed0.png
    4e7997fed0.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • 1b72d34c1e.png
    1b72d34c1e.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,291
Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on what you use for a model. If you use a current source (id), RD will go away. If you use a resistance and voltage model, then RD will be present, but the voltage will go to zero when finding the transfer function vo/vi.

In your first schematic, you label id as the "drain current" on your small-signal MOSFET model. Later, you use id to represent a completely different current involving two external resistors, Rd and RL. I'd choose another name, because id in your 2nd pic is definitely not the same as the current flowing into the drain of the MOSFET model.

For the problem statement... I'm not sure what you're trying to do... presumably find the output impedance or solving for id. Not sure from your problem statement, so I'll run through both. You're already 90% there.

For problems like this, you can find the small-signal output impedance by inspection. In your 2nd pic, it looks right and the output impedance is the equivalent Z you see BETWEEN the nodes defined by output voltage, Vo. Small-signal conditions means large capacitors are approx. a short circuit & VDD is approx. connected to ground. Therefore, as you draw in 2nd pic, small-signal assumptions connect ro, Rd and RL in parallel... and that parallel combination attaches to + & - nodes of Vo. Therefore, Zout = ro || Rd || RL. The current in each resistor is simply i_rd = Vo/Rd and load current i_rl = Vo/RL and i_ro = Vo/ro... just pay attention to the sign of the current. Going back to solving for id in your original MOSFET model (bottom of first pic), id is the sum of currents in dependent source & ro. Therefore, id = gm*Vgs + Vo/ro

1. What is a MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal?

A MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal is an electronic circuit that uses a metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) to amplify small signals. It is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications.

2. How does a MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal work?

The MOSFET acts as an amplifier by controlling the flow of current between its source and drain terminals. The input signal is applied to the gate terminal, which controls the amount of current flowing through the channel between the source and drain. By varying the gate voltage, the output signal is amplified.

3. What are the advantages of using a MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal?

Some advantages of using a MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal include: high input impedance, low output impedance, and low distortion. It also has a low power consumption and can handle high frequencies.

4. What are the key components of a MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal?

The key components of a MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal include the MOSFET itself, a biasing network (resistors and capacitors), and a coupling capacitor to connect the input signal to the gate terminal. It also requires a power supply to provide the necessary voltage for the circuit to operate.

5. How do I calculate the gain of a MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal?

The gain of a MOSFET Common-Source Amplifier Small-Signal can be calculated by dividing the change in output voltage by the change in input voltage. The gain also depends on the values of the resistors and capacitors used in the biasing network. A higher gain can be achieved by using a larger load resistor, but this may also lead to a decrease in stability.