Calculation of the Transconductance for a MOSFET

In summary: What we're trying to do is find the resistance of an ideal wire so that we can solve for ##r_0##. But in this case, because we're not dealing with an ideal wire, we can't really solve for ##r_0##. What we can do is use the definition of ##r_0## which is the resistance of a real wire with an infinite length.
icesalmon
Homework Statement
Calculate the transconductance, gm, for the MOSFET shown.
Relevant Equations
gm = id/vgs
This problem was included as an exercise for a section on the small signal equivalent circuit for a MOSFET under the body effect. The problem states ##λ =0## so I believe the Early effect is negligible and ro = 0. I don't see how the body effect would be negated so for part (b). I believe the circuit should look as the picture I've drawn and attached. My issues are the following: I don't really understand how to calculate the small signal gate-source voltage vgs and i am not sure whether or not the problem actually is neglecting the body effect as this would include another VCCS gmb*vbs. I have calculated the DC bias drain current to be ID = 0.2mA and the DC bias drain-source voltage to be VDS = 3V which are correct according to the solutions, essentially when I switch to small signal analysis and redraw the equivalent circuit I am a bit lost on how to proceed.

Attachments

• 2332.PNG
    2332.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 95BA8984-A4C1-4C54-8335-ADF115D20238.png
    95BA8984-A4C1-4C54-8335-ADF115D20238.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 2242.PNG
    2242.PNG
    34.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What causes the body effect and is it applicable to your problem? I don't see where your body terminal is connected, but where would you assume it's connected. Maybe there's a body effect equation it might be able to tell you a little more about the body effect.

Hint: What happens to threshold voltage ##V_{th}## if ##V_B = V_S##?

What are some equations for ##g_m##? There are a few of them. I won't give you the full equation... should look for it in your notes or book.

$$\begin{align}& g_m = \mu_n C_{ox} \frac{W}{L}... \\
& g_m = \sqrt{2 \mu_n C_{ox}...} \\
& g_m = \frac{2I_D}{...}\end{align}$$

Can you draw on the small-signal model where ##r_0## would be and what that would be mean if it were ##0 \Omega##... is it typically desirable for an amplifier?

They have a rule here that you have to make a attempt to solve problem before people can answer questions.

Likes icesalmon
Joshy said:
What causes the body effect and is it applicable to your problem? I don't see where your body terminal is connected, but where would you assume it's connected. Maybe there's a body effect equation it might be able to tell you a little more about the body effect.

##V_t## = ##V_t##0 + ##\gamma##[sqrt(2##\phi_f## + VSB) - sqrt(2##\phi_f##)]
I mostly forgot everything I learned about the body effect, so i'll have to read it over again as it was in a previous chapter I haven't seen in years.
Joshy said:
Hint: What happens to threshold voltage ##V_{th}## if ##V_B = V_S##?
vBS = vB - vS = 0
vOV = VBS - Vth = -Vth
This doesn't seem to make sense, having a ##negative## overdrive voltage.

Joshy said:
Can you draw on the small-signal model where ##r_0## would be and what that would be mean if it were ##0 \Omega##... is it typically desirable for an amplifier?
In the picture I attached there is a portion where ##r_o## is and I wrote ## \lambda = 0## and ##r_o = 0##
If ##r_o = 0## then the accuracy of the device goes down, but ##|A_v|## increases, this is a good thing for an amplifier. I would say this is desirable.

icesalmon said:
##V_t## = ##V_t##0 + ##\gamma##[sqrt(2##\phi_f## + VSB) - sqrt(2##\phi_f##)]
I mostly forgot everything I learned about the body effect, so i'll have to read it over again as it was in a previous chapter I haven't seen in years.

vBS = vB - vS = 0
vOV = VBS - Vth = -Vth
This doesn't seem to make sense, having a ##negative## overdrive voltage.

Alright. Sorry I crossed some of it out on my own. You got some of it right. Good job. You got the right body effect equation too. If you see ##V_{SB}## go to zero, then those two square root terms they cancel out too and so ##V_t=V_{t0}##; therefore: You have no body effect :). For an NMOS you'll want to tie your body to the source. What I've usually seen is if you don't draw the body terminal in an NMOS, then it's inferred tied to the ground reference. In your drawing your source is also tied to ground, and so you probably don't have to worry about body effect. This'll help you out a bit because now you don't have to worry about that second VCCS in your drawing.

For a PMOS the assumption if the body terminal isn't drawn, then it's tied to ##VDD##. Your source is typically connected high ##VDD## and so that's usually what you'll want.

Some of this might change a little bit when you start looking at a common source with degeneration or cascoded amplifiers; however: different fabrication process might still allow you to tie the body to source. For example: A deep n-well process can help solve that problem.

Of course: It's always a good idea to clarify or double check with your professor so that you don't unnecessarily lose points.

By the way: ##V_{OV} \neq V_{BS}-V_t##

icesalmon said:
In the picture I attached there is a portion where ##r_o## is and I wrote ## \lambda = 0## and ##r_o = 0##
If ##r_o = 0## then the accuracy of the device goes down, but ##|A_v|## increases, this is a good thing for an amplifier. I would say this is desirable.

A professor use to say to me "hear what I mean; not what I say!" The resistance of an ideal wire is zero, and so the problem with saying that ##r_0## is ##0\Omega## is you've shorted your drain and source. In your drawing I don't see a short or a resistor (it's open circuit) and so I think what you meant to say is ##r_0## is ##\infty##. I think I heard what you meant, but wanted to cover that. What that ##\lambda=0## means that you have no channel length modulation... the slope on your IV curve when it's in saturation is ##g_{ds}## which is ##1/r_0## you'll want the slope to be more horizontal or zero and so you want ##r_0## to be ##\infty##.

slope.png

A quick note: You might want to think of conductance ##g_{ds}## instead of ##r_0## in the future. I recommend practicing with that instead. A reminder that ##g_{ds}## is ##1/r_0##. The reason this will be helpful in the future is you'll be dealing with a lot of parallel resistance. Equivalent resistance for parallel resistors can be a pain when there are a lot of resistors (lots of multiplication), but conductance you can simply add together.

Regarding the original question and sorry for straying a bit... you'll want those equations for ##g_m##, which is not ##i_d/v_{gs}## as you put for relevant equations. Any chance you can fill in the blanks for post #2 regarding equations for ##g_m##? I confess I have a very hard time memorizing these equations. While I took the class I had to spend a lot of time trying to memorize it and if I was allowed some notes those were definitely some equations I wrote down.

The problem is staging you for success by asking for you to solve for ##I_D##. Once you've solved that it's given you everything else you can plug and chug into one of those three equations in #2.

Likes icesalmon
Joshy said:
What are some equations for ##g_m##? There are a few of them. I won't give you the full equation... should look for it in your notes or book.
$$\begin{align}& g_m = \mu_n C_{ox} \frac{W}{L}... \\
& g_m = \sqrt{2 \mu_n C_{ox}...} \\
& g_m = \frac{2I_D}{...}\end{align}$$

##g_m = \mu_n C{ox} \frac{W}{L}V_{OV}##
##g_m## = sqrt(2kn')*sqrt(W/L)*sqrt(ID)
##g_m## = 2ID/VOV
these are the ones I was looking for earlier.

There we go :)

I think you solved for everything that you needed or are there anything else that is a little bit shaky?

Likes icesalmon

What is transconductance for a MOSFET?

Transconductance is a measure of the change in the output current of a MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) in response to a change in the input voltage. It is a crucial parameter in understanding the behavior and performance of a MOSFET.

Why is it important to calculate the transconductance of a MOSFET?

The transconductance of a MOSFET is directly related to its small-signal gain, which determines the amplification and frequency response of the device. It is also used to calculate other important parameters such as the transconductance efficiency and the transconductance frequency response.

How is the transconductance of a MOSFET calculated?

The transconductance of a MOSFET can be calculated using the formula gm = ∆ID/∆VG, where gm is the transconductance, ∆ID is the change in drain current, and ∆VG is the change in gate voltage. This can also be represented graphically by plotting the drain current versus the gate voltage and finding the slope of the curve at a specific point.

What factors affect the transconductance of a MOSFET?

The transconductance of a MOSFET is affected by various factors such as the channel length and width, gate oxide thickness, and the type and concentration of dopants in the channel. It is also affected by the operating temperature and the biasing conditions.

How can the transconductance of a MOSFET be optimized?

The transconductance of a MOSFET can be optimized by carefully selecting the device parameters, such as the channel length and width, and the doping profile. It can also be improved by using advanced fabrication techniques and materials that reduce parasitic effects and improve the overall performance of the device.