Most detailed picture of Antares

• B
  • Thread starter mfb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, an image of Antares, taken with the Very Large Telescope in interferometry mode, was published on Space.com yesterday. The star has 900 times the diameter of Sun and is (sort of) nearby at 550 light years distance, making it a great target for these observations. The star has an apparent diameter of 41 milliarcseconds, corresponding to the width of a human hair seen from 500 meters away. The star is a red supergiant and has an apparent companion, Antares B, which is much smaller and hard to see. Alpha Centauri, the nearest star system to Earth, would look like a much smaller star if it were viewed with a similar telescope view.
eso1726a.jpg

From ESO

An image of Antares, taken with the Very Large Telescope in interferometry mode. It is the most detailed picture of any star apart from the Sun. The star has 900 times the diameter of Sun and is (sort of) nearby at 550 light years distance, making it a great target for these observations. The star has an apparent diameter of 41 milliarcseconds, corresponding to the width of a human hair seen from 500 meters away.

Likes Asymptotic, Stavros Kiri, Borg and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I saw this on a Space.com article yesterday. Pretty incredible that we can see such detail at that distance.

Likes davenn
Remarkable image, but the question in my mind is, what are we seeing? Are the bright areas zones of convective upwelling and the dark zones convective downturns? Or vice versa? Or something else. I have not had time to fully grasp the associated paper to determine if my suspicions are valid.

If they are the surface expression of convective cells then they are very large and few in number. I therefore found this paper's prediction, from 1975, intriguing:
"An attempt is made to estimate the sizes of the convective elements which dominate the brightness variations on the photospheres of red giants and supergiants. The data assembled permit the extreme hypothesis that these dominant convective elements are so large that only a modest number of them exists at anyone time on the entire surface of such a star - in contrast with two million granules on the sun."

Likes Stavros Kiri
Wow! Cool photo!
Antares (Alpha Scorpii) is a red supergiant. I see it every night [twinkling reddish] west these days, early night hours, before it sets. It is also a double star. It's companion, Antares B, is much smaller and hard to see.

With my small 60mm refracting telescope (and even bigger telescopes) I only see a bright twinkling reddish dot of course, when I look at Antares. But that picture in the OP is way beyond anything I've seen for a star from earth. I'm wondering how Alpha Centauri (nearest star system to Earth [4.37 light years away]) would look like with similar telescope views?
But it's a much smaller star [system*]! So no big luck:
hubble_friday_09022016.jpg

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2016/hubbles-best-image-of-alpha-centauri-a-and-b/

*Alpha Centauri is a binary star (A, B), orbited loosly by C (a small and faint red dwarf), the Proxima Centauri (nearest star to Earth [4.24 light years]), way smaller than the other two, which are comparable to our Sun ...

Stavros Kiri said:
But that picture in the OP is way beyond anything I've seen for a star from earth.
Antares has one of the largest angular diameters from Earth, and the VLT in interferometry mode has the best angular resolution available. The combination of both is needed to get such a picture. It is no surprise that you can't see details with hobby equipment.

The Sun as exception, of course.

Likes Stavros Kiri
mfb said:
Antares has one of the largest angular diameters from Earth, and the VLT in interferometry mode has the best angular resolution available. The combination of both is needed to get such a picture. It is no surprise that you can't see details with hobby equipment.

Additionally the Alpha Centauri picture above is taken using HST regular cameras and not VLT in interferometry mode. Alpha Centari A has an angular size of 7 milliarcseconds (compared with 41 for Antares and 49 for Betelgeuse) so it too could be resolved using VST.

Likes Stavros Kiri
If there are significant brightness variations there might be something visible, but I don't expect large-scale brightness variations for the Alpha Centauri stars.

mfb said:
If there are significant brightness variations there might be something visible, but I don't expect large-scale brightness variations for the Alpha Centauri stars.

I don't expect any significant variations either since the Alpha Centauri stars should be living much more sedate lifes than a red super-giant but it is resolvable which was sort of the question asked (what would it look like using VST).

Well, it has 1/6 the angular diameter of Antares, with some goodwill you can see something like 7 brighter/dimmer spots across its diameter "\"-direction, so I guess you can at least compare the brightness of different hemispheres.

1. What is the "Most detailed picture of Antares"?

The "Most detailed picture of Antares" refers to the highest resolution image of the red supergiant star Antares taken by the Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile.

2. How was the "Most detailed picture of Antares" obtained?

The "Most detailed picture of Antares" was obtained using the VLT's Sphere instrument, which combines four different techniques to achieve the highest resolution possible.

3. Why is the "Most detailed picture of Antares" significant?

The "Most detailed picture of Antares" is significant because it provides scientists with the most detailed view yet of the surface and atmosphere of this massive star, allowing for a better understanding of its structure and behavior.

4. What can the "Most detailed picture of Antares" tell us about the star?

The "Most detailed picture of Antares" can tell us about the star's temperature, surface features, and how its atmosphere is expanding and cooling. It can also provide insights into the star's evolutionary stage and how it may evolve in the future.

5. How does the "Most detailed picture of Antares" contribute to our overall understanding of the universe?

The "Most detailed picture of Antares" contributes to our overall understanding of the universe by providing valuable data and insights into the life cycle and behavior of massive stars, which play a crucial role in the evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.