Most mechanically complex component of an automobile?

In summary, the most mechanically complex component of an automobile is a tie between the automatic transmission and the J1939 CAN bus network that allows for communication between all the electrical components. Both of these components require advanced knowledge and specialized tools to properly repair and maintain.
SootAndGrime
What is the most mechanically complex component of an automobile? Someone told me that an automatic transmission is more complex than an electronic microchip.

I do know a tiny bit about auto mechanics, but not much. Manual transmissions are relatively simple, mechanically. It's called gear ratios.

Back 30 years ago, the mechanics in automobiles were very basic and simple, and if you had the proper tools and technical know-how you could perform most of the repairs yourself. But today, it is almost imperative you take your vehicle to a professional repair shot to have it fixed.

With today's vehicles, you have to have a degree in electronic engineering to repair one yourself. There are more chips in a modern car than there are in the computer I'm using.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Complexity isn't easily defined. I'd propose a mechanical fuel injection pump or similar.

Although automatic transmissions are extremely complex and difficult to engineer.

transmission.JPG

Trans_ValveBody.jpg

id have to say the new computer systems that now control all the fuel/air mix, throttle position indicator, EGR sensor and the like..automatic trans is no problem if you take your time and follow the fluid path and understand basic fluid dynamics..its just looks complex and intimidating..but the crap they put out now means you can't work on the car unless you got a computer interface, know the error codes and can run diagnostics..

Ranger Mike said:
id have to say the new computer systems that now control all the fuel/air mix, throttle position indicator, EGR sensor and the like..automatic trans is no problem if you take your time and follow the fluid path and understand basic fluid dynamics..its just looks complex and intimidating..but the crap they put out now means you can't work on the car unless you got a computer interface, know the error codes and can run diagnostics..

These cars did not need computers and electronics to repair. Just metal tools and a garage.

Antique-Car-White-4-dr0051-300x198.jpg

I'd say a transmission, especially the new 8 speed semi-automatic transmissions like on the Lexus IS F.

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Automatic_transmission_cut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing mechanical is really that complex when you dig down to the individual components. Also define complex: amount of bits in the system, complexity of operation, engineering required etc?

However, to answer the question.
Limited slip diffs.

xxChrisxx said:
However, to answer the question.
Limited slip diffs.
?
Some gears and a clutch mechanism?

Active LSD are black magic (quite qute as much as aero or tyres though).

yeah Chris...to tune it right (Limited slip diff) is a bear...thats one reason round trackers use spools...auto trans is pretty trick too...but as Mender said.. still parts is parts and not too bad to learn how to trick them up...

xxChrisxx said:
Active LSD are black magic
Pharmaceutical or mechanical?:wink:

Mechanically they're still fairly straightforward; as in EFI it's the programming that gets complex. I'm assuming you're including traction and skid control; yes?

Nooooooo..that would be illegal...like nitrous ...dont know a thing about these...

mender said:
Pharmaceutical or mechanical?:wink:

Mechanically they're still fairly straightforward; as in EFI it's the programming that gets complex. I'm assuming you're including traction and skid control; yes?

Mechanically they are fairly simple, but even a passive LSD requires hefty engineering. The interaction and progressive nature is more complex than the way any old gearbox works.

It's like I said, when you boil down any machine, what each component does is actually very simple. It's the interactions that make it complex.

The J1939 CAN bus network that all the electrical components use to communicate. That is my vote.

triden said:
The J1939 CAN bus network that all the electrical components use to communicate. That is my vote.
But the question is:
SootAndGrime said:
What is the most mechanically complex component of an automobile?
Given that most people can't correctly describe how a torque converter works or even how to calculate the various ratios available with a planetary gearset let alone the flow chart for a typical valve body, my vote is also the automatic transmission.

But as Chris said, the definition of complex is needed.

Last edited:
My Honda Ridgeline and my wife's Subaru Forester both have full-time AWD with traction-control and active stability-control (anti-skid). I'd really hate to have to trouble-shoot any of those systems. I have always worked on my own motorcycles, but cars and trucks have gotten away from me in the past 20 years or so, apart from basic maintenance.

:bugeye:

turbo said:
My Honda Ridgeline and my wife's Subaru Forester both have full-time AWD with traction-control and active stability-control (anti-skid). I'd really hate to have to trouble-shoot any of those systems.
To properly troubleshoot these, one must know what the engineer(s) programmed the control unit to do in response to readings from the various sensors. Without that info you're shooting in the dark.

One customer at the M-B dealership that I worked at had a 4matic E320 (ABS, traction control, ESP) that responded properly but at a much slower rate than it should have. I spent way too much time on the tech line trying to get the info needed to fix it. Over the course of a winter, all the major components and software were replaced or updated under warranty without solving the issue. I suspect that a faulty sensor in another subsystem feeding through the CAN bus network was responsible, or the network itself - but I apparently wasn't cleared for that level of info.

The system itself isn't very complex; a set of solenoids modulating hydraulic pressure from the ABS pump to the appropriate brake caliper(s) but the processing of the sensor readouts to decide which solenoids to operate and for how long certainly can be.

Last edited:

1. What is the most mechanically complex component of an automobile?

The most mechanically complex component of an automobile is the engine.

2. How does an engine work?

An engine works by converting fuel into mechanical energy through a series of controlled explosions. These explosions create the necessary power to move the car's pistons, which in turn power the car's wheels.

3. What are the main parts of an engine?

The main parts of an engine include the cylinders, pistons, crankshaft, and camshaft. Other important components include the fuel system, ignition system, and cooling system.

4. How is an engine maintained?

An engine is maintained through regular oil changes, replacing worn or damaged parts, and keeping the fuel and air filters clean. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.

5. What are some common issues that can occur with an engine?

Some common issues that can occur with an engine include overheating, oil leaks, and misfiring. It is important to address these issues promptly to prevent further damage to the engine.