Gorgeous Corona Virus Images

In summary, the images in this article are very well done and can be used to show the ways in which molecules interact.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Great pictures of the corona virus compiled in a NY Times article
Here is a Carl Zimmer article in the NY Times showing some fantastic images of the corona virus.
These are mostly computer generated images (pretty common these days) based on cryo-EM (Electron Microscopy) and biochemical/molecular biology type data.

They are very well rendered, down to the level of atoms:
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 4.36.10 PM.png

Some are movies that show the manner in which particular molecules vibrate, thereby accessing a larger volume of nearby space, in search of a promising ligand.
Some videos match up the the actual data with models rendered to match.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.12.19 PM.png

Some show which parts of molecules could be hidden from antibodies by sugars.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 4.38.40 PM.png

Such an awareness of the molecules shapes and spatial relationships is used in planning vaccines, designing pharmaceuticals, and generally understanding how the virus makes its living.

This is a nice little article, which informed me of some novel corona virus things I was not aware of.

From a different point of view, as a visual thinking kind of person, I can quickly learn a lot from pictures.
I suppose there are a lot of similarly endowed people who could also do that.
I feel images, like these, will be excellent tools for demonstrating how the shapes and relationships among molecules, biochemistry, and cellular components, in and between cells, affect biological processes.
The relationships between components of different layers in the structural hierarchy of biological structure (atoms/molecules/cellular components) in 3-D-ish space can be clearly shown.

Today, there are programs you can get to make these images, by using available online structural data for many molecules, a talented individual might make many teaching friendly diagrams for rapid interpersonal transfer of these kinds of concepts.
I am aware of one that runs on the 3D movie making program Maya (used in Hollywood), providing the data about the molecules, I presume).
Maya is not a simple program, but once you've used it a bit, the basic things are pretty straightforward.
There may be other programs that can also this.

I am not current on these programs, but if anyone is, I would be interested in hearing about it.

In the long run, the simpler the program (to use), the better for getting a lot of people to use it, thus promoting a better understanding of the basis of biological function.
It would be great if it could run on a laptop! But probably a desktop.

• Informative
Likes OmCheeto, nsaspook, berkeman and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
This is very cool. Thanks for sharing. There’s a lot of software out there! Depending on the needs, if it’s simply for visual and educational purposes then it’s easier to find. When it’s concerning work that requires accuracy and precision -say software for pharmaceuticals or for modeling biological processes- it can cost tens of thousands for simple ad-ons/extensions and a long wait time for development. And the software for accurately modeling some biological processes just doesn’t exist yet!

Likes BillTre

1. What is the corona virus?

The corona virus, also known as COVID-19, is a highly contagious respiratory illness caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. It was first identified in Wuhan, China in 2019 and has since spread globally, resulting in a pandemic.

2. How does the corona virus look like?

The corona virus is a spherical virus with a diameter of approximately 120 nanometers. It has a characteristic crown-like appearance, which gives it its name "corona" (meaning crown in Latin). The virus is not visible to the naked eye and can only be seen under a microscope.

3. Why are there so many images of the corona virus?

Scientists and researchers use various imaging techniques, such as electron microscopy and cryogenic electron microscopy, to study the structure and behavior of the corona virus. These images are essential in understanding the virus and developing treatments and vaccines.

4. Are the images of the corona virus accurate?

Yes, the images of the corona virus are accurate representations of the virus. They are obtained through advanced imaging techniques and are verified by multiple scientists and researchers. However, it is important to note that the virus can mutate, and new variations may look slightly different.

5. Can looking at images of the corona virus help prevent the spread of the virus?

No, simply looking at images of the corona virus will not prevent the spread of the virus. It is important to follow guidelines from health authorities, such as wearing masks, practicing social distancing, and washing hands regularly, to prevent the spread of COVID-19.