Most useful language for math/physics

• Thread starter the_kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of which foreign language would be most useful for an academic career in math or physics. Suggestions are given for Latin, Spanish, German, and Chinese, with one person recommending French for its strong math background and affordable universities. Another person argues for Russian due to the influential mathematicians and writers from that language.
the_kid
Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance regarding which foreign language might be most useful for an academic career in math or physics. I realize nearly everything is done in English now, but if you were forced to choose a second language, what would you learn? Russian? German? Chinese? Latin?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably Latin, it was the academic standard for a while, so you'll be able to read the original versions of quite a few old textbooks.

I studied Russian, and that never came in useful. Not once. I wish I had taken Spanish (I spent a lot of time in South America while working on my PhD) and Germany (spent some time in Germany as well). Latin and Chinese never would have come in useful for me.

the_kid said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance regarding which foreign language might be most useful for an academic career in math or physics. I realize nearly everything is done in English now, but if you were forced to choose a second language, what would you learn? Russian? German? Chinese? Latin?

Thanks!
French !
they are good in math !
and in France the universities are almost free !

Russian. Landau, Kholmogorov, Fomin, Tolstov . . . enough said. Ohh, Gogol, Dostoyevsky, Bulgakhov... I have heard its very difficult to learn.

What is the most useful language for math/physics?

The most useful language for math/physics is generally considered to be either Python or MATLAB. Both languages have libraries and functions specifically designed for mathematical and scientific computing, making them efficient and powerful tools for these fields.

Why is Python considered a useful language for math/physics?

Python is considered a useful language for math/physics because it has a simple and readable syntax, making it easy to learn and use. It also has a large community and a vast collection of libraries and packages that are specifically designed for mathematical and scientific computing.

What makes MATLAB a useful language for math/physics?

MATLAB is considered a useful language for math/physics because it has built-in functions and tools for matrix operations, data analysis, and visualization. It also has a user-friendly interface and a large collection of toolboxes that are specifically designed for various branches of mathematics and physics.

Can I use any other language for math/physics?

Yes, there are other languages that can be used for math/physics, such as C++, Java, and Fortran. However, these languages may require more complex coding and have a steeper learning curve compared to Python and MATLAB.

Do I need to know programming to use Python or MATLAB for math/physics?

While having a basic understanding of programming concepts can be helpful when using Python or MATLAB for math/physics, it is not necessary. These languages have user-friendly interfaces and a vast collection of resources and documentation that can guide users with little or no programming experience.