Motion in One dimension: Stone

In summary, the stone is thrown downward at 18 m/s from a height of 11 m. The final speed of the stone just before it hits the ground is approximately 10.401 m/s, and it takes 8.19 seconds for the stone to hit the ground. The correct formulas to use are V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo) and Vf = Vi + at. It is important to be consistent with signs, designating anything pointing downward as negative. Another useful equation is yf = yi + Vi(t) + 0.5at^2.
jojo711

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown downward with a speed of 18 m/s from a height of 11 m. (acceleration due to gravity: 9.81 m/s2)
Your answers must be accurate to at least 1%. Give your answers to at least three significant figures.
a) What is the speed (in m/s) of the stone just before it hits the ground?
b) How long does it take (in seconds) for the stone to hit the ground?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempted the first part, I used the equation V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo), and plugged in the numbers, V^2=(18^2)+2(9.81)(-11) and the answer came out to be 10.401 m/s and it was wrong.
When I tried the second part, I used the equation V=Vo+at and plugged in the numbers 0=18+(9.81)t and the answer was 8.19 s.

Physics news on Phys.org
jojo711 said:
When I attempted the first part, I used the equation V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo), and plugged in the numbers, V^2=(18^2)+2(9.81)(-11) and the answer came out to be 10.401 m/s and it was wrong.
Since you're taking down as negative, the acceleration must be negative.
When I tried the second part, I used the equation V=Vo+at and plugged in the numbers 0=18+(9.81)t and the answer was 8.19 s.
Why are you setting V = 0? (Again, careful with signs.)

I got V=0 because the final velocity would be when the stone hits the mud and wouldn't that be 0?

jojo711 said:
I got V=0 because the final velocity would be when the stone hits the mud and wouldn't that be 0?
They want the speed just before it hits the ground. (Once it hits the ground, the acceleration no longer equals that of gravity. So that formula would no longer apply.)

Oh, but how do I know what formula to use then?

The stone's initial height was 11m. 11m above what?

jojo711 said:
Oh, but how do I know what formula to use then?
You're using the correct formula. Once you solve the first part, then you'll have the final velocity.

Again, be careful with signs. Just to be consistent, anything that points down becomes negative. (You can also choose to call down positive. Just pick a convention and stick to it.)

For the second part use Vf = Vi + at
just as Doc Al said; be careful with the signs ( Vf and Vi )

You can also use this equation yf = yi + Vi(t) + 0.5at^2

Related to Motion in One dimension: Stone

1. What is one-dimensional motion?

One-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object along a straight line, without any changes in direction.

2. What is the formula for calculating displacement?

The formula for calculating displacement is Δx = xf - xi, where xf is the final position and xi is the initial position.

3. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time taken, v = Δx / Δt.

4. How does acceleration affect an object in one-dimensional motion?

Acceleration affects an object in one-dimensional motion by changing its velocity, either by speeding up or slowing down, at a constant rate.

5. How does the mass of a stone affect its motion in one dimension?

The mass of a stone does not affect its motion in one dimension, as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This is known as the principle of inertia.