Motion in two dimensions: Launching up an incline

In summary, motion in two dimensions involves the movement of an object on both the x and y axes. When launching an object up an incline, the initial velocity and angle of launch determine the object's trajectory and the forces acting upon it. The components of the object's velocity and acceleration can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components, allowing for the analysis of its motion in both directions. Additionally, the incline's angle and coefficient of friction play a crucial role in the object's motion, affecting its speed, acceleration, and ultimately, its landing position.
simphys
Homework Statement
You fire a ball with an initial speed at an angle Φ above the surface of an incline, which is itself inclined at an angle θ above the horizontal (see the above image). (a) Find the distance measured along the incline, from the launch point to the point when the ball strikes the incline. (b) What angle Φ gives the maximum range, measured along the incline? Ignore air resistance.
Relevant Equations
I tried to do this one using

x = y / tan(phi + thetha)
y = v_0sin(phi + theta)t - (gt^2) / 2
x = v_0cos(phi+theta)t => t = x / (v_0cos(phi+theta))
1644446952259.png

But it seems to get too complex and am not sure whether it is correct.. my solution got a bit messy + incorrect

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
simphys said:
so haven't uploaded it, hope you don't mind.
We don't mind, but then we can't help either. We can't guess what is your problem ...

##\ ##

Likes simphys
BvU said:
We don't mind, but then we can't help either. We can't guess what is your problem ...

##\ ##
yeah I was literally about to upload it apologies :)

• Informative
Likes simphys
BvU said:
Check out your predecessor...
wooowww thanks!
One question
I rewrote it a bit clearer, so from this step at the end of the page it’s all about what is said in the thread of the predecessor? The above is done how it ‘should’ be then

Attachments

• 64FC3AC1-3EBF-4816-BAED-9D9442E949AE.jpeg
    64FC3AC1-3EBF-4816-BAED-9D9442E949AE.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 69
Or check out this Insight, Example 3 (Incline landing).

• Informative
Likes BvU and simphys
kuruman said:
Or check out this Insight, Example 3 (Incline landing).
Toughh i guess I am having problems with the final algebra every x (trig subs actually)

I gave you a link to a thread with a slightly different problem statement (target given, angle to be found).
Your problem statement gives angles and asks for a distance to target along the slope.
My guess is you're off track because you end up with an equation in ##x## that does no longer depend on ##v_0##. That is very strange...

##\ ##

Likes simphys
Likes simphys
BvU said:
A real spoiler !
It even tells us where the exercise comes from !
Sadly, only b solved which is the the derivate of a which isn't dolved there, unfortunately:(
BvU said:
I gave you a link to a thread with a slightly different problem statement (target given, angle to be found).
Your problem statement gives angles and asks for a distance to target along the slope.
My guess is you're off track because you end up with an equation in ##x## that does no longer depend on ##v_0##. That is very strange...

##\ ##
or just too complicated because i do have v_0^2 but I forgot to invlude it in the denominator of the quadratic term for y

OKAY! I found this.. The exact same way as i have done!
https://www.toppr.com/ask/question/a-projectile-is-fired-up-an-incline-incline-angle-phi-with-an-initial-speed-vi/

BUT... the step he immediately calculates d is where I am lost...

it’s amazing how many ways yoj can solve such a problem tough lol

simphys said:
Sadly, only b solved
Oh, really ?

simphys said:
BUT... the step he immediately calculates d is where I am lost...
it says (in your notation) $$d\sin\theta = d\cos\theta\tan\alpha - {1\over 2} g \ {d^2\cos^2 \theta\over v_0^2 \cos^2\alpha }$$so of the form ##d(d-z)=0## with non-trivial solution ##d=z##.

##\ ##

Likes simphys
BvU said:
Oh, really ?

it says (in your notation) $$d\sin\theta = d\cos\theta\tan\alpha - {1\over 2} g \ {d^2\cos^2 \theta\over v_0^2 \cos^2\alpha }$$so of the form ##d(d-z)=0## with non-trivial solution ##d=z##.

##\ ##
yes, the next step was the problem haha, that was the easy step, but then the reformation was not really clear

$$d\sin\theta = d\cos\theta\tan\alpha - {1\over 2} g \ {d^2\cos^2 \theta\over v_0^2 \cos^2\alpha }$$
$$0 = d(\cos\theta\tan\alpha - \sin\theta) - {1\over 2} g \ {d^2\cos^2 \theta\over v_0^2 \cos^2\alpha }$$
So d= 0 or $$(\cos\theta\tan\alpha - \sin\theta) - d \; {g\cos^2 \theta\over 2 v_0^2 \cos^2\alpha }=0$$meaning ##d = ...##

BvU said:
$$d\sin\theta = d\cos\theta\tan\alpha - {1\over 2} g \ {d^2\cos^2 \theta\over v_0^2 \cos^2\alpha }$$
$$0 = d(\cos\theta\tan\alpha - \sin\theta) - {1\over 2} g \ {d^2\cos^2 \theta\over v_0^2 \cos^2\alpha }$$
So d= 0 or $$(\cos\theta\tan\alpha - \sin\theta) - d \; {g\cos^2 \theta\over 2 v_0^2 \cos^2\alpha }=0$$meaning ##d = ...##
Thank you ,I meant this one :) :

d=g*cos(2ϕ)2*v_i2*cos(θ)[sinθ_icosϕ−sinϕcosθ_i]​

that basically the d =... that you said, I just can't see the damn realtion of it for some reasons from ttrig

simphys said:
yes, the next step was the problem haha,
So next (:smile:) time don't write 'the next step' but write out the step in question !

simphys said:
Thank you ,I meant this one :) :

d=g*cos(2ϕ)2*v_i2*cos(θ)[sinθ_icosϕ−sinϕcosθ_i]​

I don't see this appearing anywhere -- wrong dimensions

##\ ##

BvU said:
So next (:smile:) time don't write 'the next step' but write out the step in question !I don't see this appearing anywhere -- wrong dimensions

##\ ##
yeah you are totally right, I am very very sorry for wasting your time :( my apologies!
and so if you look at this: https://www.toppr.com/ask/question/a-projectile-is-fired-up-an-incline-incline-angle-phi-with-an-initial-speed-vi/
solving for d yields -> that is the solution but after the last step you did, I cannot translate it in such a way if you know what I mean. (but that is than straight up trigonometry thenn??)

would you want me to post a pic of what I mean ?

or... you know what.. let me not bother you with this exercise, I immensly appreciate the help! Thank you, I think that it is just trigonometry anyways at this point. If I struggle with it ill just do a bit more practice on it and that's it lol

1. What is the difference between motion in one dimension and motion in two dimensions?

Motion in one dimension refers to the movement of an object along a straight line, while motion in two dimensions involves movement along both the x and y axes. This means that an object can move horizontally and vertically at the same time.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of an object launched up an incline?

The angle of the incline affects the motion of an object launched up an incline by changing the direction of the object's motion. The steeper the incline, the more the object's motion will be directed vertically, while a shallower incline will result in more horizontal motion.

3. What is the role of gravity in motion in two dimensions?

Gravity plays a crucial role in motion in two dimensions by constantly pulling objects towards the center of the Earth. This means that even when an object is moving horizontally, it is still being affected by the force of gravity, causing it to accelerate downwards.

4. How does the initial velocity of an object affect its motion up an incline?

The initial velocity of an object launched up an incline determines how fast the object will travel along the incline. A higher initial velocity will result in a faster motion up the incline, while a lower initial velocity will result in a slower motion.

5. What factors can affect the range of an object launched up an incline?

The range of an object launched up an incline can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of the incline, and the presence of external forces such as friction. The height and length of the incline can also play a role in determining the range of the object's motion.