Classical Mechanics - Motion of a particle

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a point with acceleration given by a=c*((dr/dt)×r)/|r|3, where c is a constant, moves on the surface of a cone. The individual is seeking guidance on how to obtain the trajectory with only the given acceleration in this format. They propose using a constant vector 'a' that satisfies a•r=constant, which would result in motion on the surface of a cone. However, their attempts to use vectorial identities and the 'BAC-CAB' rule did not lead to a solution. They inquire about any similar examples or resources for better understanding. There is also mention of the need for confinement to keep the point on the surface of the
Einstenio
TL;DR Summary
How to find the trajectory given the acceleration as a cross product of velocity and acceleration
Show that a point with acceleration given by:
a=c*((dr/dt)×r)/|r|3
where c is a constant, moves on the surface of a cone.

This is jut an example to illustrate my doubt. I don't know how to obtain the tracjectory given only the acceleration in this format. I realized that if i can show that there is an constat vector 'a' that satisfy a•r=constant, than the motion would be on the surface of a cone. So i tried to make use of some vectorial identity multiplying by cross product on both sides and try to use the 'BAC-CAB' rule, but that didnt lead to anywhere.

Is there any example similar to this case or anywhere i can study to have a better understanding?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean ##\mathbf{r}## is confined on the surface of a cone ? If so as an obvious case bodies moving on generatrix of a cone keep constant speed. Bodies moving around circumference of bottom of a cone gets acceleration leaving the cone surface. There should be a confinement to keep them on the surface.

Last edited:

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton.

2. What is a particle in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, a particle is a point-like object with mass that is used to represent a physical object. It is assumed to have no size or internal structure, and its motion is described by its position, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of a particle along a straight line, while angular motion refers to the rotation of a particle around a fixed point. Both types of motion can occur simultaneously in a system.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the speed and direction of motion. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of the object's movement, while speed does not.

5. How is classical mechanics used in everyday life?

Classical mechanics is used in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. It also helps us understand the motion of objects in space, the behavior of fluids, and the mechanics of machines and structures.