Planetary motion in a viscous medium

In summary, the answer to (c) is ##-2\pi AGMm##. The answer to (d) is that the solution to (d) is an appropriate approximation.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
none
Relevant Equations
F=ma
1605614759603.png

1605614814611.png

The answer to (c) is ##-2\pi AGMm##.
Answer to (d)
1605614872478.png

For sub-question d, I used a different approach and I don't know why the solution to (d) is an appropriate approximation.
What I did was that I use Newton's laws to obtain two differential equation in polar coordinate, as shown:
$$\text{Assume that the planet moves counterclockwise}$$
$$-\frac{GMm}{r^2}\boxed{\hat r}-Amv^2\boxed{\hat\theta} =m(\ddot r-r\dot\theta ^2)\boxed{\hat r}+m(r\ddot\theta+2\dot r \dot\theta)\boxed{\hat\theta}$$
$$\begin{cases}
-A(r\dot\theta)^2=r\ddot\theta+2\dot r\dot\theta\\
-GM/r^2=\ddot r-r\dot\theta^2\\
\end{cases}$$
I would like to know if my solution is correct, and why the official solution works. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 1605614759646.png
    1605614759646.png
    5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Leo Liu said:
Homework Statement:: none
Relevant Equations:: F=ma

View attachment 272709
View attachment 272711
The answer to (c) is ##-2\pi AGMm##.
Answer to (d)
View attachment 272712

For sub-question d, I used a different approach and I don't know why the solution to (d) is an appropriate approximation.
What I did was that I use Newton's laws to obtain two differential equation in polar coordinate, as shown:
$$\text{Assume that the planet moves counterclockwise}$$
$$-\frac{GMm}{r^2}\boxed{\hat r}-Amv^2\boxed{\hat\theta} =m(\ddot r-r\dot\theta ^2)\boxed{\hat r}+m(r\ddot\theta+2\dot r \dot\theta)\boxed{\hat\theta}$$
$$\begin{cases}
-A(r\dot\theta)^2=r\ddot\theta+2\dot r\dot\theta\\
-GM/r^2=\ddot r-r\dot\theta^2\\
\end{cases}$$
I would like to know if my solution is correct, and why the official solution works. Thanks a lot.
I wouldn't do it by your way, the velocity vector is, actually is$$\dot{r}\widehat{r} + r\dot{\theta}\widehat{\theta}$$, what you show is the velocity in an circular orbital, if it was a circular orbital, the radius wouldn't varies anyway :S

And, what you didn't understand in the approximation? From c we have "the radius varies to low in a period", so it is a understandable approximation.
Remember the differentials theory

$$\Delta R = \frac{dr}{dt}\Delta t$$

Attachments

• 1605767930912.png
    1605767930912.png
    307 bytes · Views: 93
Likes Leo Liu
I think your approach though it is aiming for the exact solution, has a big disadvantage:
We can't find the exact solution cause the system of ODEs you write has no closed form solution.

So we have to do approximations as the main solution suggests. All the equations for ##\Delta r## and ##\Delta t## are approximations in the given solution for d).

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd and Leo Liu
LCSphysicist said:
what you show is the velocity in an circular orbital, if it was a circular orbital, the radius wouldn't varies anyway :S
Oh yes you are definitely correct. I found out this problem after I could edit my post. Should the first equation be ##-A[(r\dot\theta)^2+\dot r ^2]=r\ddot\theta+2\dot r\dot\theta##?

Even this is not accurate because the direction of velocity is not the same as hat theta. I think we have to assume the angle between the tangent and the velocity is phi and make use of the following identity: ##\tan\phi=\dot r/r\dot\phi##
LCSphysicist said:
And, what you didn't understand in the approximation? From c we have "the radius varies to low in a period", so it is a understandable approximation.
Remember the differentials theory
What I don't understand is why the first equation of the official solution is valid.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Leo Liu said:
Oh yes you are definitely correct. I found out this problem after I could edit my post. Should the first equation be ##-A[(r\dot\theta)^2+\dot r ^2]=r\ddot\theta+2\dot r\dot\theta##?

Even this is not accurate because the direction of velocity is not the same as theta.

What I don't understand is why the first equation of the official solution is valid.

Thanks.
The first equation is what they call, in short words, the virial theorem. I recommend you to seek it at wikipedia.
" For gravitational attraction,... the average kinetic energy equals half of the average negative potential energy"
Knowing that E = Epot + Ekin, i think you can understand now how the equation arose ;)
Anyway, while it is approximately true in ellipse orbital, it is exactly true in circular orbits, as follows:
E = mv²/2 - GmM/r
-GmM/r² = -mv²/r (centripetal)
E = GmMr/2r² - GmM/r
E = -GmM/2r

Likes Leo Liu
LCSphysicist said:
The first equation is what they call, in short words, the virial theorem. I recommend you to seek it at wikipedia.
This is exactly what I have been looking for. What puzzled me was the reason a small change in energy corresponded to the force times an infinitesimal movement :P

1. What is a viscous medium?

A viscous medium is a substance that has a high resistance to flow, such as honey or molasses. In planetary motion, this refers to the medium through which a planet is moving, such as the atmosphere or the oceans.

2. How does a viscous medium affect planetary motion?

A viscous medium can affect planetary motion in several ways. It can create drag, or resistance, on the planet's movement, causing it to slow down. It can also create turbulence, which can alter the planet's trajectory. Additionally, a viscous medium can transfer heat and energy, impacting the planet's overall climate and weather patterns.

3. What is the significance of studying planetary motion in a viscous medium?

Studying planetary motion in a viscous medium can provide insights into the behavior and dynamics of planets and their atmospheres. It can also help us better understand the effects of climate change and the impact of human activities on planetary systems.

4. How do scientists study planetary motion in a viscous medium?

Scientists use various methods to study planetary motion in a viscous medium, such as computer simulations, laboratory experiments, and observations from spacecraft and satellites. They also use mathematical models and equations to describe and predict the behavior of planets in different types of viscous media.

5. Can the viscosity of a medium change over time and affect planetary motion?

Yes, the viscosity of a medium can change over time, and this can have a significant impact on planetary motion. For example, changes in the Earth's atmosphere due to human activities, such as increasing levels of carbon dioxide, can alter the viscosity of the air and affect the planet's climate and weather patterns. Similarly, changes in the ocean's viscosity can impact the movement of ocean currents and affect the planet's climate and marine life.