Motion of a point charge in a magnetic field

In summary, to find the exit angle for a proton entering a region with a uniform magnetic field of 0.800 T at an angle of 60º, we can use the equation F=qvBsin(theta) and set it equal to the calculated magnetic force. By solving for theta, we find that the exit angle is approximately 60.02º.
apt8

Homework Statement

A proton with a speed 1.00x10^6 m/s enters a region with a uniform magnetic field of 0.800 T, and points into the page. The proton enters the region at an angle of 60º Find the exit angle.

Homework Equations

F=qvBsin(theta), F=qvxB

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the charge of a proton is 1.6x10^-19C so I solved for the magnetic force.
F=(1.6x10^-19C)(1.00x10^6m/s)(.800T)sin(60) =1.109x10^-13N
I don't understand how I can get the exit angle now.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for posting your question on the forum. It seems like you have made some good progress with your attempt at finding the exit angle. To find the exit angle, we can use the equation F=qvBsin(theta) and set it equal to the magnetic force you calculated. Then, we can solve for the exit angle, theta.

F=qvBsin(theta)
1.109x10^-13N = (1.6x10^-19C)(1.00x10^6m/s)(.800T)sin(theta)

Dividing both sides by (1.6x10^-19C)(1.00x10^6m/s)(.800T) gives us:

sin(theta) = 1.109x10^-13N / ((1.6x10^-19C)(1.00x10^6m/s)(.800T))

Using a calculator, we can find that sin(theta) = 0.866. To find the exit angle, we can take the inverse sine (or arcsine) of both sides:

theta = sin^-1(0.866) = 60.02º

Therefore, the exit angle is approximately 60.02º. I hope this helps clarify the steps needed to find the exit angle. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

What is the equation for the motion of a point charge in a magnetic field?

The equation for the motion of a point charge in a magnetic field is given by F = qv x B, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge, v is the velocity of the charge, and B is the magnetic field strength.

How does the direction of the magnetic force on a point charge relate to its velocity?

The direction of the magnetic force on a point charge is perpendicular to both the velocity of the charge and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the force will cause the charge to move in a circular or helical path.

What happens to the motion of a point charge when the magnetic field strength is increased?

When the magnetic field strength is increased, the force on the point charge will also increase, resulting in a tighter and faster circular or helical motion. The charge will also experience a larger change in direction as it moves through the field.

Can the motion of a point charge in a magnetic field be affected by the charge's mass?

No, the motion of a point charge in a magnetic field is only affected by its charge and velocity. The mass of the charge does not play a role in the equation for magnetic force.

What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the radius of the charge's motion?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the radius of the charge's motion. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, the radius of the charge's motion will also increase.