Motion of a spring that has mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the equations of motion for a spring with a uniform distribution of mass. The first approach is using discrete springs with elastic constants and masses, while the second approach is using a continuous method with a material coordinate. The equation for motion involves the acceleration and the first and second derivatives of the position. The conversation also mentions a paper that explains how to find these equations of motion.
jaumzaum
Hello!

I was trying to find the equations of motion for a spring with uniform distribution of mass (uniform just in t=0, because after a while the distribution will be non-uniform).
I tried to attack this problem first in the discrete (non-continuous) way:

"Consider N springs with elastic constant k joining N masses m. Find the acceleration of the i-th mass over time)".

Then I found the following equation for the motion:

$$k(x_{i+1}-2x_{i}+x_{i-1})=ma_{i}$$
I know the first term seems like a second derivative, however I was not able to either solve this system nor extrapolate that in the continuous way.
Can you guys help me with this problem (for example, trying to help me to find the equations of motion or showing me any paper or website that explains how to find them)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass distribution remains uniform provided us specify location using a material (body) coordinate.

Likes vanhees71 and Chestermiller
Following up on what Dr. D said, let L be the unstretched length of the spring, and let s be a material coordinate that runs from s = 0 at one end of the spring to s = L at the other end of the spring. Also, let x(s,t) be the location at time t of the material element situated at material location s along unstretched configuration of the spring. Then based on this, the local tension T in the spring at material location s and time t is given by $$T(s,t)=kL\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}-1\right)$$ Also, the mass between material locations s and ##s+\Delta s## is given by: $$\rho \Delta s$$ where ##\rho## is the linear density of the unstretched spring. So a force balance on a short section of the spring between material coordinates s and ##s+\Delta s## becomes: $$T(s+\Delta s,t)-T(s,t)=\rho \Delta s\frac{\partial ^ 2x}{\partial t^2}$$

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is the equation for the motion of a spring with mass?

The equation for the motion of a spring with mass is F = -kx - mg, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, and mg is the force of gravity on the mass.

2. How does the mass of the spring affect its motion?

The mass of the spring affects its motion by changing the period and frequency of oscillation. A heavier mass will result in a longer period and lower frequency, while a lighter mass will result in a shorter period and higher frequency.

3. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the motion of a spring with mass?

The spring constant, k, is directly proportional to the motion of a spring with mass. This means that as the spring constant increases, the displacement and acceleration of the spring will also increase.

4. How does the amplitude of the spring's motion change over time?

The amplitude of the spring's motion decreases over time due to the effects of damping. This means that the spring's oscillations will gradually decrease in size until it comes to a rest.

5. Can the motion of a spring with mass be affected by external forces?

Yes, the motion of a spring with mass can be affected by external forces such as friction or air resistance. These forces can alter the amplitude and frequency of the spring's oscillations.