Motor/Battery for Dragster Race Car: Tips & Advice

In summary, it seems like you should get two 1.5 V AA batteries and test them out to see if they work.
lekh2003
Gold Member
Hello everyone!

I'm doing a school project where we are responsible for designing a dragster race car powered by a small electric motor (1.5 to 4.5 V) h it seems to be called MOT12 (which I don't know the meaning of, it would be helpful if someone helped me understand).

We are allowed to power this motor using two AA batteries and I wanted to know whether I should try and find some 3.7 V batteries for the extra voltage or whether I should stick with a couple of generic 1.5 V ones.

I'm leaning towards getting some stronger batteries for the extra voltage, but how much a difference would it make, if at all?

On a side note: Any general tips on making an electric dragster car would be appreciated. I already have a general design, but anything is helpful (especially any info on how gear ratios work). The car needs to go 20 m.

I also wasn't sure where to put this I felt like DIY projects was also appropriate.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there are no time limits, you should make the gear ratio between the gear on the motor and the car axis as large as possible, meaning making the gear on the motor as small as possible and the one on the car axis as large as possible.

Ideally you should use as high a voltage as possible within the rules.

However you may not need much capacity. Cheap unbranded alkaline cells from a $1 shop actually work better than say Duracell ecause they weigh less. However check the voltage on load.

Do some experiments. Keep the weight to a minimum.

CWatters said:
Cheap unbranded alkaline cells from a $1 shop actually work better than say Duracell ecause they weigh less.
True but... they also have much lower total energy. So if you need the maximum amount of capacity (total energy) per battery, get the name brand. For some uses, the cheaper ones can cost less per watt than the expensive ones, you just have to replace them more often. You could do the development using the cheap batteries, then when you are satisfied try the expensive ones and see if it helps or hurts.

Likes CWatters
+1 All true.

I was thinking for a dragster with a small cheap motor and short runs you are very unlikely to be able to fully discharge AA cells in one run. So why carry the excess weight.

CWatters said:
So why carry the excess weight.

I'm actually leaning towards using heavier equipment to improve traction. We seem to be testing on particularly non-grippy surface, so I need that extra weight. I was thinking of adding some hot glue around the place to balance the center of mass and increase the traction of the wheels.

That is to say, I am looking at getting a couple of 3.7 V AA batteries and tesating (they are unbranded so I need to check whether it isn't dodgy). Also, I feel like the only forseeable issue is burning out the motor, but I'm only planning on 2-3 runs so that shouldn't be a problem. The motor is pretty terrible, I hoped I could get my own but I'm stuck with some unbranded stuff.

1. What type of motor is best for a dragster race car?

The type of motor that is best for a dragster race car depends on a variety of factors, including the weight of the car and the length of the track. Typically, electric motors are preferred for dragster race cars due to their quick acceleration and high torque. However, some racers may prefer nitro or gas-powered engines for their speed and sound.

2. How do I choose the right battery for my dragster race car?

Choosing the right battery for your dragster race car is crucial for optimal performance. You should consider the voltage, capacity, and discharge rate of the battery. Generally, a higher voltage and capacity battery will provide more power and longer run times. It is also important to choose a battery with a high discharge rate to handle the demands of drag racing.

3. How do I properly maintain my motor and battery for a dragster race car?

To ensure your motor and battery are performing at their best, regular maintenance is key. This includes checking for any wear or damage, cleaning and lubricating the motor, and properly charging and storing the battery. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and to replace any worn or damaged parts as needed.

4. Can I upgrade my motor or battery for better performance?

Yes, you can upgrade your motor or battery for better performance. However, it is important to make sure the upgraded components are compatible with your dragster race car and will not cause any damage. It is also recommended to consult with a professional or experienced racer before making any upgrades to ensure they will be beneficial.

5. How can I prolong the lifespan of my motor and battery for my dragster race car?

To prolong the lifespan of your motor and battery, it is important to properly maintain and care for them, as mentioned in question 3. Additionally, avoiding overloading or overworking the motor and avoiding fully discharging the battery can also help extend their lifespan. It is also recommended to have spare parts on hand in case of any unexpected issues during a race.