What was the impact force of a 30 mph collision on my Scion xB?

In summary, the person is seeking help to calculate the force of impact from a collision they were in. They provide details about the weight of their car and the other car involved, and mention that they experienced physical injuries. They are also concerned about proving the severity of the impact. However, the responder cannot provide assistance due to the nature of the question and recommends seeking help from certified individuals. The thread is then closed.
Susana Reis
Hello! I have a question and I was wondering if you guys could help and please let me know if this is totally the wrong place to be writing on.

I need to calculate the force on a collision I was in.

I have a Scion xB 2006 that weighs between 2360 lb to 2600 lbs. The other car is a Ford Escalate xls weighing between 3560 lbs to 3600 lbs. I was in a complete stop looking over my shoulder to merge on to a street when this car rear ended me going about 30 mph.

I wanted to calculate the force of impact that the SUV had on my little toaster car. Can you guys help me with that?

The insurance is taking responsibility for the damages to my car, but it's saying it wasn't hard enough of a hit for me to bang my head out n a side window and strain my neck.

I just want to proof that the hit was hard and that on my small car the impact is pretty big on the inside.

Thanks and I truly apologize if this is not the forum to ask this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but for obvious reasons, we cannot answer on potentially legal issues here. We generally recommend to consult people, who are specialized and maybe even certified to investigate such incidents. And even without the legal aspects of it, there is by nature too less information for any qualified answer.

Thread closed.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the formula for calculating impact force?

The formula for calculating impact force is F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you determine the impact force of a collision?

The impact force of a collision can be determined by measuring the change in velocity and using the formula F=ma to calculate the force.

3. Is the impact force of a 30 mph collision on a Scion xB dangerous?

The impact force of a 30 mph collision on a Scion xB can be dangerous, as it can cause significant damage to the vehicle and potentially cause injury to passengers. However, the severity of the impact force depends on many factors such as the weight and speed of the other vehicle involved, as well as the safety features of the Scion xB.

4. How can the impact force of a collision be reduced?

The impact force of a collision can be reduced by implementing safety measures such as using seat belts and airbags, driving at a safe speed, and maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles on the road.

5. Can you determine the impact force of a collision without physical measurements?

No, physical measurements such as the change in velocity and the mass of the vehicle are necessary to accurately determine the impact force of a collision. Without these measurements, it is impossible to calculate the force.