Motorized rotating platform (180 degrees, periodically)

In summary, a motorized rotating platform can be built with a stepper motor and a drive wheel. The platform needs to be precise, so four wheel supports may not be necessary.
hansyhop
Hi,

I'm trying to build a motorized rotating platform, and was wondering what drive system to choose.

The platform is 1.2 meters in diameter with two cylindrical objects (max 25 kg each) attached on top - total weight to rotate approx 80 kg. I want the platform to be programmed to periodically rotate 180 degrees, (for example every 3 hours), so that the two cylindrical objects switch position. It needs to be precise.

My current solution is to have four wheel supports under the platform and one center support with bearing. Then have a stepper motor with a drive wheel connecting under the platform, rotating it by friction. What I was wondering with this solution is if the platform will stop precisely enough, and not continue to rotate some degrees over 180. The rotational switch does not need to be very fast, approx 5-10 RPM.

I was wondering if anyone here had a clever input on this problem and how to calculate the needed torque to rotate the platform (inertia, friction etc.?) and which stepper motor or other types of motors, with transfer is recommended?

If you need more data, just ask!
HOP

Engineering news on Phys.org
hansyhop said:
Hi,

I'm trying to build a motorized rotating platform, and was wondering what drive system to choose.

The platform is 1.2 meters in diameter with two cylindrical objects (max 25 kg each) attached on top - total weight to rotate approx 80 kg. I want the platform to be programmed to periodically rotate 180 degrees, (for example every 3 hours), so that the two cylindrical objects switch position. It needs to be precise.

My current solution is to have four wheel supports under the platform and one center support with bearing. Then have a stepper motor with a drive wheel connecting under the platform, rotating it by friction. What I was wondering with this solution is if the platform will stop precisely enough, and not continue to rotate some degrees over 180. The rotational switch does not need to be very fast, approx 5-10 RPM.

I was wondering if anyone here had a clever input on this problem and how to calculate the needed torque to rotate the platform (inertia, friction etc.?) and which stepper motor or other types of motors, with transfer is recommended?

If you need more data, just ask!
HOP
Welcome to the PF.

What angular accuracy do you want to achieve? What are you going to be driving the stage with? Would position feedback on the angular position be helpful?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What angular accuracy do you want to achieve? What are you going to be driving the stage with? Would position feedback on the angular position be helpful?

Hi!

The final solution would probably be an off-the-shelf rotation stage driving the platform from the center, since they are very accurate. Then I would maybe not need the supports ether.

As a prototype, I was thinking about the solution explained in first post. A (stepper) motor, running a drive wheel. I have no experience with this and how accurate I can have them, especially when its a drive wheel that transfers energy to the platform and how accurate it will stop. I am open for other solutions too.

1. What is a motorized rotating platform?

A motorized rotating platform is a device that rotates objects, typically 180 degrees, in a periodic manner. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and industrial processes.

2. How does a motorized rotating platform work?

A motorized rotating platform typically consists of a motor, gears, and a platform on which the object is placed. The motor rotates the gears, which in turn rotates the platform and the object on it.

3. What are the applications of a motorized rotating platform?

A motorized rotating platform has a wide range of applications, including testing the effects of gravity on objects, simulating motion in space, and conducting experiments in physics, engineering, and biology.

4. Are there different types of motorized rotating platforms?

Yes, there are different types of motorized rotating platforms, including ones that rotate on a single axis, multiple axes, or in a circular motion. They can also vary in size, speed, and weight capacity.

5. How do I choose the right motorized rotating platform for my experiment?

The right motorized rotating platform for your experiment will depend on your specific needs and the requirements of your experiment. Consider factors such as size, speed, weight capacity, and axis of rotation when choosing a platform.