Mounting of accelerometer on bullet - Drop test

In summary, the speaker is conducting drop-weight impact tests on a concrete slab and has designed a bullet made of high tensile steel. They are looking to record acceleration and convert it to impact force by implementing an accelerometer on the bullet. They have tried two designs, welding steel brackets and drilling a hole to bolt the accelerometer, and are seeking suggestions. The speaker has also attached images and received advice to use packing material and shims to secure the accelerometer in the hole for accurate readings.
StathPol
Hi guys,

I am performing drop-weight impact tests on concrete slab.

I have designed a bullet made of high tensile steel and I am interested to recorded the acceleration, then convert it to impact force. For this purpose, I need to implement an accelerometer on the bullet.

I have tried two designs; one to weld two steel brackets and the other one to drill a hole to bolt the accelerometer. Is there any possibility to let me have your suggestions on this please?

I have attached the images. Thanks

Attachments

• 1st.JPG
    1st.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 371
  • 2nd.JPG
    2nd.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 330
Engineering news on Phys.org
Steel brackets are going to flex, stay with a drilled hole in the body. Put some packing material behind the accelerometer to keep its nose in contact with the bullet. Ideally the hole bottom should match the shape of the accelerometer. Also, don't let the accelerometer rattle sideways in the hole, a snug fit or (stainless steel?) shaped shims come to mind. If shims are used, they should enclose noticeably more than 180o of the accelerometer periphery.

1. What is the purpose of mounting an accelerometer on a bullet for a drop test?

The purpose of mounting an accelerometer on a bullet for a drop test is to measure the acceleration and deceleration forces experienced by the bullet during impact. These measurements can provide valuable information about the bullet's structural integrity and performance.

2. How is the accelerometer mounted on the bullet for the drop test?

The accelerometer is typically mounted on the base of the bullet using a specially designed mounting bracket. The bracket ensures that the accelerometer is securely attached to the bullet and does not affect its aerodynamics during the drop test.

3. What type of accelerometers are used for bullet drop tests?

The most commonly used accelerometers for bullet drop tests are piezoelectric accelerometers. These types of accelerometers use a crystal or ceramic material to convert mechanical forces into electrical signals, making them ideal for measuring high acceleration forces experienced by bullets.

4. How is the data collected and analyzed from the accelerometer during a bullet drop test?

The data from the accelerometer is collected using data acquisition systems, which are connected to the accelerometer through wires or wireless technology. The collected data is then analyzed using specialized software to determine the acceleration and deceleration forces experienced by the bullet during impact.

5. What are the benefits of conducting a bullet drop test with a mounted accelerometer?

Conducting a bullet drop test with a mounted accelerometer allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of the bullet's performance. This data can be used to improve the design and performance of bullets, as well as to ensure their safety and reliability in real-world scenarios.