Move a large amount of rocks from one place to another

• B
  • Thread starter Rocksolid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocks
In summary: Or even a Google Earth screenshot of one of the typical places that you will be using this setup to work...We want to move something like this but a much smaller amount. We want to have something under it and something against it so when we pull the platform on the bottom of it, the rock pile doesn't move.
Rocksolid
I am looking to move a large amount of rocks from one place to another. I was thinking of making a sleeve out of a strong plastic that was at a 90 degree angle. Then load the rocks on. The challenge is to move the sleeve. It only needs to go about 6 feet. The rocks will weigh about 100 pounds. I was thinking of putting wheels on the front of the sleeve where the 90 degree angle meet and sort of doing a wheel barrel thing or maybe putting those sliders that people use to move furniture and dragging it the 6 feet. Any ideas on the best way to move this sleeve with rocks in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rocksolid said:
I am looking to move a large amount of rocks from one place to another. I was thinking of making a sleeve out of a strong plastic that was at a 90 degree angle. Then load the rocks on. The challenge is to move the sleeve. It only needs to go about 6 feet. The rocks will weigh about 100 pounds. I was thinking of putting wheels on the front of the sleeve where the 90 degree angle meet and sort of doing a wheel barrel thing or maybe putting those sliders that people use to move furniture and dragging it the 6 feet. Any ideas on the best way to move this sleeve with rocks in it?
Welcome to the PF.

Could you post a sketch of what you are wanting to do?

I attached a word doc but basically just imaging a wall and draw a line against the wall that goes down to the floor and then out from the wall about 3 feet. The rocks would sit in it. I need to pull this 90 degree product I will make out of Plastic ( I think ) away from the wall.

Attachments

• ~$Doc1.docx
    162 bytes · Views: 530
Rocksolid said:
I attached a word doc but basically just imaging a wall and draw a line against the wall that goes down to the floor and then out from the wall about 3 feet. The rocks would sit in it. I need to pull this 90 degree product I will make out of Plastic ( I think ) away from the wall.
I'm not able to open the Word document -- it says it's corrupt. Can you convert it to PDF to Upload? You can use PrimoPDF or other free converter software to do it. Or just paste it into Paint and save it as a JPG file...

45ca04b8-8229-4284-a0a2-6577667c1534.jpg

This is what I need to move. It will be on cement. I was thinking a wheel at the corner where the lines meet or putting those sliders that people use to move furniture along the bottom of the bottom line and dragging it.

Rocksolid said:
This is what I need to move. It will be on cement. I was thinking a wheel at the corner where the lines meet or putting those sliders that people use to move furniture along the bottom of the bottom line and dragging it.
Can you just tilt it up onto a couple Mover's Dollys? How wide is it? What kind of ground do you need to move it over? (dirt, grass, cement, smooth/rough?)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31g+wXwC-PL._SY355_.jpg
31g%2BwXwC-PL._SY355_.jpg

I need to move it over cement. I need the bottom part to be as flat as possible. We want to sweep the rocks on to it.

Rocksolid said:
I need to move it over cement. I need the bottom part to be as flat as possible. We want to sweep the rocks on to it.
From what I seem to understand about all that has been said, you need something like a coal shovel or snow scoop ? anything that can be swept onto the sleeve should be small enough to be scooped with a flat shovel of some type. :smile:

The process that they are using is a large truck that will push the rocks onto the sleeve, almost like when a car gets tons of snow pushed on it from a plow. We want to have something under it before it gets pushed on to it, so taking the car snow example, we would need to move the snow after it gets piled on.

I still say a picture or two would be of help...

I'm sorry, I don't have a picture. We have not made the product yet. We are just fleshing out ideas.

Or even a Google Earth screenshot of one of the typical places that you will be using this setup to work...

Lone_pile_of_gravel_-_Hillsboro%2C_Oregon.JPG

Likes berkeman
We want to move something like this but a much smaller amount. We want to have something under it and something against it so when we pull the platform on the bottom of it, the rock pile would move to a different location.. Keep in mind the thing we are making would be a 90 degree angle so it has a bottom and a back to brace the rocks.

That's a big help. :smile:

Since you only need to move it about 6 feet, maybe just rent one of these and use shovels?

http://www.duranterentals.com/images/Equipment/Conveyor_Belts/EZLift_Conveyor_Good.png
EZLift_Conveyor_Good.png

Yeah, that is a way to go, but we were looking to keep costs down. We just wanted to build a simple platform or some sort and find the best way to move the platform while keeping it flat if we could. I thought you physics people would have a good physics trick like a pulley or something that the average person would not think of.

How about a sled? You could lay two rails between A and B and just pull the sled over them with a suitable weight of rocks. A winch on a Jeep could provide the muscle.
This is a bit like building the ancient pyramids but everyone wouldn't have to walk sideways as in the pictures. :biggrin:
Basically, you don't want to lift the rocks higher than you have to, so sliding would get my vote.

Ok, thanks for the input everybody. We need to figure this out.

A big 115 degree U shape with counter weight can move the rocks fairly quickly for short distances up to 5-6ft

Rocksolid said:
Lone_pile_of_gravel_-_Hillsboro%2C_Oregon.JPG
I'm a bit confused, in the OP the weight of 100 pounds being moved 6' is the problem, this picture is a 12 cubic yard bobtail truck load or a trailer load of road base 25,000 to 40,000 pounds of weight, if it needs to be moved 6' you need a shovel and wheel barrow and about 3 hours of hard work.
I see you have said the pile is smaller and if 100 pounds is correct I think it's possibly we are being trolled :rolleyes: I'm not seeing where much physics is needed here o_O.
Could you give some more info on the project ? :smile:

ps. Sorry if this sounds negative, that is not my intent so much as I think the volume will fit in a 5 gallon bucket...in my hobby gold prospecting, I fill, lift and/or move buckets of gravel and dirt throughout a day. I'm wondering if the project has to be skidded or dragged ?

Last edited:
I showed a picture of gravel because people wanted a picture of what we were trying to move. We want to build something that is 90 degrees that can hold the rocks and we want a way to figure out how to move it an easy way. Wheels on the bottom of what the rocks are sitting on is an option. Our situation is kind of like cars getting plowed in by snow trucks. They get buried...how would you move the snow? Our situation is like that but with rocks. If you can think about how to move the snow then that would probably work for us as well. I just thought there might be a cool way to use science instead of the obvious idea of using wheels or a shovel.

We were both typing at the same time. :smile: I'll watch and see what others might say.

Thanks

A hand truck might work. They have a thin flat plate that you might kick under the stone. Once it is on the hand truck you do almost no work rolling it around. You can even incorporate a ramp if you need to change height. Google a hand truck if not familiar with one. I have used one in the past to load large logs that weigh several hundred pounds from where they were cut for firewood and then up the ramp of my trailer. Saved my back.

Oh, and a wheelbarrow can be a great labor saving device.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...MrJ9A1njnz0NERivlTKvDRoCJLvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Mr Pool said:
A big 115 degree U shape with counter weight can move the rocks fairly quickly for short distances up to 5-6ft
A counterweight won't make life much easier because you need to lift it and put the same amount of work in (or more) as lifting the original load. That 90 degree 'lever' arrangement can't help much because, when filled up with the rocks, the centre of mass needs to be lifted higher than necessary and that involves mechanical work each time. A flat plate or shallow tray / sled, dragged over a smooth surface (rails) is the easiest to implement. Wheels would need to be small diameter if you don't want to be lifting any distance. Any lifting should be done on small parts (man manageable - say 25kg) of the load. Trying to do it all at once is likely to be counter productive.
Anyway, there is no quick fix available from 'Physics' here.
I really wonder whether this thread is near enough to April 1st to be a bit suspect. I could recommend trying telekinesis. :wink:

Lol, I know this is an odd question. I work for a construction company and my boss put me on this stupid project so I was really looking for answers which you guys have provided. This was not a joke, but I can see how you may think it is. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Rocksolid said:
I showed a picture of gravel because people wanted a picture of what we were trying to move. We want to build something that is 90 degrees that can hold the rocks and we want a way to figure out how to move it an easy way. Wheels on the bottom of what the rocks are sitting on is an option. Our situation is kind of like cars getting plowed in by snow trucks. They get buried...how would you move the snow? Our situation is like that but with rocks. If you can think about how to move the snow then that would probably work for us as well. I just thought there might be a cool way to use science instead of the obvious idea of using wheels or a shovel.
The device you speak of is called a "front end loader" or "end loader" for short. It is a scoop fitted to the front end of a piece of power equipment. You lower it so that it is flush with the ground and thrust it under the pile to be moved. You then lift and move a scoopload where you want it placed.

Rocksolid said:
Lol, I know this is an odd question. I work for a construction company and my boss put me on this stupid project so I was really looking for answers which you guys have provided. This was not a joke, but I can see how you may think it is. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
I'm fast approaching 75 years of age and have worked in and around construction that involves moving dirt and gravel for several of those years, I can understand the snow example you refer to ( although I have never worked in snowy areas) but any situation that would pile gravel against cars or trucks (that can be moved) is beyond my imagination. I'm interested, but very skeptical of what you are looking for without more details of how and why you have been assigned this task. :wideeyed: :smile:

What is the best method for moving a large amount of rocks?

The best method for moving a large amount of rocks depends on the specific situation. Some common methods include using heavy machinery, such as cranes or excavators, to lift and transport the rocks, or using manual labor with tools like shovels and wheelbarrows.

How long does it take to move a large amount of rocks?

The amount of time it takes to move a large amount of rocks also varies depending on the method used and the size of the rocks. With heavy machinery, it can take a few hours to move a large amount of rocks, while manual labor may take several days.

What are some safety precautions to consider when moving a large amount of rocks?

Safety should always be a top priority when moving a large amount of rocks. Some precautions to consider include wearing proper protective gear, such as hard hats and gloves, having a clear plan and designated areas for workers to stand and move around, and ensuring that all equipment is in good working condition.

Can rocks be moved without causing damage to the surrounding environment?

Yes, it is possible to move rocks without causing damage to the surrounding environment. This can be achieved by using careful planning and techniques, such as using mats or boards to protect the ground, and avoiding sensitive areas or habitats.

What are the potential challenges or obstacles when moving a large amount of rocks?

There are several challenges that may arise when moving a large amount of rocks. These can include the weight and size of the rocks, difficult terrain or weather conditions, and potential safety hazards. Proper planning and preparation can help mitigate these challenges.