Move Stewart platform without Kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a stewart platform and the use of a joystick for movement. The speaker is looking for a simple combination of linear actuators to perform approximate translations and rotations without damaging them. They are also unsure about the need for a specific arrangement of 6 linear actuators.
Bern123
Hello,

I've a small project (stewart platfrom) part of another one. I'd like to move my platform with a joystick on X, Y translations and roll, pitch, yaw.
Since this is a component of a bigger project, so this part should just move without precise kinematics, I'd like to perform approximate translations and rotation but without damage my linear actuators. Is there a simple actuators combination to perform this movements?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes. Google for the lingo that suits you best

I don't understand your question. Why can't you accomplish all that with the standard 6 linear actuator arrangement? Surely you do not mean unlimited translation or rotation.

1573224609333.png

Likes berkeman

1. How does the Stewart platform move without using kinematics?

The Stewart platform uses a combination of hydraulic or pneumatic actuators and computer-controlled algorithms to move without kinematics. The actuators provide the necessary forces to move the platform, while the algorithms calculate the appropriate movements and coordinate them.

2. What are the advantages of using a Stewart platform without kinematics?

Using a Stewart platform without kinematics allows for more precise and complex movements, as well as faster response times. It also eliminates the need for complicated and bulky mechanical linkages, making the platform more compact and efficient.

3. Are there any limitations to moving a Stewart platform without kinematics?

While the use of actuators and algorithms allows for more flexibility in movement, there are still limitations to the range and speed of movement. Additionally, the platform may require frequent calibration and maintenance to ensure accuracy.

4. How is the movement of a Stewart platform without kinematics controlled?

The movement of a Stewart platform without kinematics is controlled through a computer program or software. The software takes input from sensors and calculates the necessary movements for the actuators to achieve the desired motion.

5. What are the practical applications of a Stewart platform without kinematics?

Stewart platforms without kinematics have a wide range of applications, including flight simulators, robotic arms, and motion platforms for virtual reality experiences. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and entertainment for precision movements and simulations.